Help me figure out how to make this wireless setup work

Reaction score
I was inspired by this thread and want to replace my baby monitor with an IP cam. Obviously I can just connect the cam to my home network and I'm off to the races...

Here's my problem..

I ALSO need to be able to have my setup be able to come with me when my family travels. For example, I need to be able to take everything and plug it in at my in-law's house and have the system up and going immediately. I have decided on the Hikvision 2432 and figure I need a travel router in the mix. This is where the plan gets fuzzy. I'm assuming that when I'm on the road I can plug in the cam and travel router and it will broadcast on a preset IP address. That's fine and good -- but when I'm at home I want the system to be part of my home setup (BlueIris) so that I can view the cam with my other cams. For this to work I'm assuming I need the travel router to be part of my home network. So what I think I need is for the travel router to connect to my home network thus adding the cam to my home network .. and on the road it simply broadcasts it's wifi (allowing access to the cam)... and in both scenarios the webcam will have the same IP. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just gotta ask; why?

would not a simple audio baby monitor be easier to transport if your really this much of a helicopter?

or just 2 phones with a video chat kept open?

Reaction score
We have a Motorola baby monitor now that does the job, but the screen contrast is getting pretty weak, the power connector is messed up, etc.. AND we have another kid on the way. The unit was like $250 so I'd hate to have to buy two more (replace this dying one and a new one for the new kid). The image clarity and ability to bring up the monitors on any device would also be really nice.

I'm not much of a helicopter, but we do vacation from time to time or visit my wife's parents. In those cases I need the setup to be 100% dummy-proof for my wife. She's simply not a tech person and if it's not plug-and-play she won't go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Is the answer this simple...

1. Use a router (Router-B) that hard-wires to my house network (connects to Router-A)
2. Give Router-B a static IP (192.168.1.300)
3. Enable wifi on Router-B and make sure the SSID is unique (BabyCamWifi)
4. Connect the HK-2432 to BabyCamWifi via wifi or hardwire.

So now, when I'm at home I should have access to the cam from anywhere on my network.. and on the road I should be able to connect to BabyCamWifi and pull up the cam. That would work, right?