Help me improve my plan to wire my external POE cams to my internal router

jerigon

n3wb
Reaction score
I've recently moved into a new rental (around 4500 sqft in Barcelona, Spain) and am trying to setup an external cctv system with 8 POE cams. As renter for just 12 months I need to keep modifications to the house to a minimum. I have a requirement for wired cams and cannot use wireless. My plan is to run external grade cat 5E ethernet from the cams along the brick walls to a point outside a spare bedroom. Then I will drill a hole through the exterior brick wall just big enough to fit all the cables through. On the inside I will have a 6U wall enclosure (sitting on the floor so don't have to damage wall any further). The cables will enter into the enclosure and be connected to a 24 port POE switch and my NVR. My questions are:

1. Are there any issues with my plan or areas I should rethink?
2. Do I need a patch panel in the enclosure to terminate the ethernet cables? It seems kinda pointless but it also seems silly that someone could pull the ethernet cables on the exterior and possibly damage the router.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No single way to do it. Yours sounds fine. I would first look to see if I could get into the attic (is there an attic) and route the wires from there. You might be able to go through the eave with small holes (eliminating a lot of wire running outside). That would eliminate going through the brick and shorten the runs quite a bit. Patching the eave would be easy and not as noticeable.

jerigon

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @ctgoldwing. There is no attic or eave, it's a modern flat roof hollow brick building. I forgot to mention I have a few years of network experience but zero experience with layer.

Also I'm not sure how to ensure there is no tiny gap in the wall hole that all 6 cables will feed through that a spider or whatever couldn't get through. Is there some sort of 1 way tubing that people use?

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use an expanding foam inside the walls, almost to the surface. Then I put a caulk that can be painted to the surface to ensure a good seal. The only place I used a 'pipe' sleeve was for my coax antenna feeds for my ham shack. There I knew I would be adding cables so I used a plastic plumbing 'extension piece'. It thin wall pvc or abs about 1-1/2" and it's easy to get chromed escutcheons to trim it out. Again here I used expanding foam on the outside of the pipe to really seal in the wall. To seal the inside extra space you can use the foam also, just not too much if you plan on adding more cables.