Help me select hardware: dome cameras; POE switch; monitoring software; storage solut

JBoyle

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Help me select hardware: dome cameras; POE switch; monitoring software; storage s

Ok, thanks! What about off-site storage? Can the Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P or Dahua NVR4204-P, upload to the cloud in real time?
How about the HIKVISION DS-7608NI-E2/8P 8CH PoE NVR, I found one on Amazon.

JBoyle

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Help me select hardware: dome cameras; POE switch; monitoring software; storage s

Del Boy,
I'm looking at the HIKVISION DS-7608NI-E2/8P 8CH PoE NVR on Amazon. It doesn't come with HDD but that's ok, I was thinking about an external HDD that could be secured separately from the NVR. Do you know if the NVR could be set up to write to an external HDD?
Thanks.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I have a DS-7604NI-E1/4P on the for sale section

Chief1246

n3wb
Reaction score

Generally yes, but it depends on the duration of the outage. You have to provide backup power to your own devices.
Out of curiosity, would a POE camera with an extra SD card slot work in a power outage? Might be an option for a couple on the perimeter.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Out of curiosity, would a POE camera with an extra SD card slot work in a power outage? Might be an option for a couple on the perimeter.
If you provide power to it.

Some cameras can be configured to use the SD card as backup if the NVR is unavailable.

Biggs

n3wb
Reaction score

SSD for OS and software, HDD for video files because yes, its much more cost effective at this point. There's some comments here about the longevity of SSD's under constant use, that they are more susceptible to fail earlier then HDD, however alot of the literature coming out on that fact is showing it isn't necessarily true. But the cost for a reputable 2TB SSD drive on Amazon right now with a quick search shows it close to $700. A 4 TB WD Purple at 5400 rpm (lower RPM is better for energy consumption btw), is around $144 and you can prob find them on sale for a little cheaper if you're patient and feel like searching. I'm sure after a few years once the cost drops it'll be much easier for me to move away from HDD to an all SSD system.

I'm currently trying to figure that location questionactually.. I bought a SFF Optiplex meaning its very small and i'm told will be pretty hard to add much inside, although i've also read elsewhere that it is possible to remove the CD/DVD drive (if you have one) and purchase a caddy to hold a 2.5" SSD in the same spot where the optical drive should be. The PC hasn't arrived yet but i have ordered some parts to see if this method will work on mine. I've also read that its possible to literally velcro or double sided sticky tape the SSD into the tower as well. fenderman is an admin on here and i've found him to be a great source of information with regards to PC capabilities. There are a few others that seem to really know what they are talking about so i'd browse around and take some notes. Thats pretty much what i've done.
Hi there. May I know where you obtained the caddy for the "5.25" CD-RW drive to 2.5" SSD drive" adapter from and how much did it cost? Thanks!

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Hi there. May I know where you obtained the caddy for the "5.25" CD-RW drive to 2.5" SSD drive" adapter from and how much did it cost? Thanks!
eBay but you need to find one specifically for the SFF OptiPlex and I haven't found one. I've purchased two but neither works in my particular machine. I basically ended up feeding the wire thru one of the brackets and then connected the SSD. Its not mounted onto a caddy or the bracket, it pretty much rests there, which I don't believe is a big deal because I don't need to move it at all once its on. Even if I have to go into the computer, I shut it down and just remove the side panel on the side, I have no reason to physically move the actual tower.

In one of my other threads when I was trying to figure this all out, Fenderman suggested using Velcro or double sided sticky tape if you'd rather go that route.

traymay21

n3wb
Reaction score

• Cameras = Dahua, 2.8mm Turrets/Domes indoors, 6mm and up LXIR Turrets/Bullets Outdoors, all with IVS Smart Features (LineCross/Intrusion detection), paired with a 16ch Dahua Non-PoE NVR (4216-4k), 2MP or 4MP.. the latter if your willing to install additional lighting to help at night, former if its just really f'n dark.
  • Switch = 24P GigE w/12 PoE, lots avilable check used listings on ebay too (Dlink/Linksys/Cisco/etc)
  • Software = Dahua SmartPSS for Live Monitoring and Playback on Windows/Mac, gDMSS on Android and iDMSS on iOS
  • Storage = 6TB WDD Purple, with room for a 2nd if you need more recording capacity.. Record continuously outdoors, record indoors when security system is armed.. you'll probably get >2 weeks of archive.
    • Do not store personal 'stuff' with video surveillance, your personal stuff you'll want to recover if a disk fails, your surveillance stuff you dont care about backing up
  • Backup Battery UPS = Get a 1000VA at minimum, run just your switch, cable modem, and nvr off it.. Dlink switches seem to be the most power & cost efficient for best runtime, hardware NVR takes very little power.
  • Performance = Wont be a problem, you'll be at well under 50% load @ highest quality on the NVR.
Thank you this is very helpful.