Help me spend some money specing out a 48 camera Blue Iris server and storage

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Shark92651 note that the RAM you linked is a single 16 GB stick which means you won't be able to use it dual channel. If you encounter unexpectedly high CPU usage, there's a possibility that this could be related. I never did any single vs dual channel tests with Blue Iris to know if there really is a difference.

Otherwise, that looks like a solid build.

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Shark92651 note that the RAM you linked is a single 16 GB stick which means you won't be able to use it dual channel. If you encounter unexpectedly high CPU usage, there's a possibility that this could be related. I never did any single vs dual channel tests with Blue Iris to know if there really is a difference.

Otherwise, that looks like a solid build.
That is a good point. I will order the 2x8GB and return the 1x16GB. Thanks for the input

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just put together a parts list and ordered these components on Amazon for the first server. If it all works well, I will build a 2nd system with the same components. Total is about $1800 before tax, which doesn't seem too bad to me for this system. I am putting it in a Rosewill rackmount chassis and went with a 256GB M.2 for OS and BI software. Apparently the Rosewill chassis comes with 3 crappy 80mm chasis fans with Molex connectors. I ordered some replacement Noctua 80mm fans that I can plug into the fan controller on the Asus motherboard, which supports a total of 4 fans (2 for CPU and 2 for chassis). I will report back on my progress once I get the parts in and can assemble it.

Intel Core i9-9900K
ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming LGA1151
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000
ADATA 256GB M.2
Western Digital Purple 10TB x 2
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550 Gold
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT Fan
Rosewill RSV-Z2600
Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800 80mm fan x 3
I am using that case for my system. Are you referring to the recent thread about rackmount cases where I just talked about the fans? Rack mount BI server reccomendations

That CPU cooler will not fit the Rosewill 2U case.
The redux fans don't come with cable extensions or Y splitters. You'll need 1 Y splitter if that motherboard only has 2 chassis fan headers. The Noctua NF-A8 fans do come with, but the splitters are too short, and the extensions are ridiculously long. I ordered 10" splitters and extensions, these:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using that case for my system. Are you referring to the recent thread about rackmount cases where I just talked about the fans? Rack mount BI server reccomendations

That CPU cooler will not fit the Rosewill 2U case.
The redux fans don't come with cable extensions or Y splitters. You'll need 1 Y splitter if that motherboard only has 2 chassis fan headers. The Noctua NF-A8 fans do come with, but the splitters are too short, and the extensions are ridiculously long. I ordered 10" splitters and extensions, these:
No I had not seen that post, I was looking at a build video on Youtube by Crosstalk Solutions on their NVR20 which uses the Roswill 2U case, but they built their system on a 6th Gen Core-i5 whereas I wanted to use latest Core i9. Thanks for the info on Y-splitter or extension cables for the fan, I will check on that.

Is the CPU cooler too tall to fit the case? There were a couple other smaller coolers I was looking at that I can substitute. Which one did you go with? Do you know the max height available for the cooler inside this case?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The case is only 3.5" high. That cooler is 159mm (6.25") high just itself, and then it has to sit up on the motherboard and CPU.

I'm using the stock cooler that came with my i5-6600 CPU.

You'll need a normal cooler that has the fan blowing upwards, like the Noctua NH-L9i or Noctua NH-L9x65. I don't know for sure if those will fit, but probably will.

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll need a normal cooler that has the fan blowing upwards, like the Noctua NH-L9i or Noctua NH-L9x65. I don't know for sure if those will fit, but probably will.
I think I will try to see if the Noctua NH-L9x65 will fit. It's 2.5" tall so will be close, but the NH-L9i is only good to 65W TDP but the i9-9900K needs 95W TDP. Even if it fits, I may need to drill some holes in the case top above the CPU cooler in order to allow some airflow from the fan. Then again, maybe I could just cut a hole in the top and let the original 6.25" cooler stick out of the case like a blower on a hot rod :lol: I am only half-kidding, I need to leave 1U of space above this case so the PSU can breath out of the top anyway.

Last edited:

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got the first server built and Windows 10 Pro installed. I will purchase and install BI next week. Thanks for all the help.

The Noctua NH-L9x65 does fit, but only by about 1/4". This cooler is rated at 95W TDP so should be fine if I don't overclock it. If I do I will have to move it to a larger case that can fit a larger cooler. I am going to drill a series of holes in the case lid just above the CPU fan for additional ventilation before I put the cover on.

How are these benchmarks looking?