Help me to setup safety system outside my house

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Francesco and i'm new in the forum and i have really no experience about IP cams.

I've setup a double allarm for inside the house and for windows. Now i want to cover outside area with a movement sensor allarm and some camera since a baby will arrive in 6-7 months.

In the picture below in blue there is the way a thief used to reach my house (too bad for him he found me inside :D)

I need to setup 2 or 3 cam around my house and 1 inside. I'm surrounded by fields for wine production and 1 neighbour, 1 road with really low car flow.

I think the model of Ipcam should have resistance to weather condition, Night and day vision, good resoultion (good at least to recognize the face of people).
Optional (if doesn't increase the price too much) allarm via handy for movement, SD card or store in Nas, ethernet and or WIFI (depending on the position of the house), PoE (depending on the position of the house).

I need to know which is the cheapest for every position i need (according to my picture house)

p.s. Sry for my poor english.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello. Nice set of solar panels you have there!

Look for Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IWS. This model supports PoE, but can be powered by a standard 12 volt adapter (not included) instead if you wish. It has WiFi and a microSD card slot. But most importantly it has good image quality and is inexpensive at the same time. If you can do without WiFi and the card slot, DS-2CD2332-I is a good alternative that is easier to install and less likely to attract insects to the lens.

I strongly encourage you to try powerline networking adapters instead of WiFi. WiFi is a very limited resource and WiFi cameras are not a good idea if you care about them working all the time and also care about your other WiFi devices performing well.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, when you are choosing cameras, note that you have a choice of lens options. 4mm is the default size and offers a fairly wide field of view. 2.8mm is wider which is good if you have a lot of space to cover with one camera. 6mm is narrower (more zoomed in), good if your target area is far away. 12mm is much narrower (much more zoomed in). 2.8mm and 4mm are by far the most common lens sizes. Just be aware they will not give you much detail to recognize a person or license plate unless it is close to the camera, because the high field of view spreads the image out over a larger area.