help moving from dvr to nvr poe

Windie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a 4ch dvr (cheap) system in place. I had zero knowledge, a friend of a friend helped buy it etc (1MP 2.8mm 720p cameras). Last week someone stole some flower pots from the front yard, couldn't see their face, was all blurred (in daylight). So what is the point of this system.

NVR
So been reading up, lots of great help here. I have narrowed down the NVR to DS-7608NI-I2/8P or DS-7608NI-K2/8P. I havnt explored the local market properly yet, but K2 is available for around $240. No sign of I2, but could get it here from Aliexpress (secure life surveillance systems) for about $360 shipped.

Cameras
Im confused as there are so many cameras, I am going by what Secure life surveillance systems list (H.265 ones) for reference. I require 4 cameras to start with.

2 covering the front (1 mounted on top of the first floor wall, 2nd mounted on the top of ground floor wall). Im thinking varifocal as I do not know what mm lens would be best. Clarity and playback smoothness is a must. Any suggestion?

I need another 2 cameras to cover side and back alley which is no wider than 5 feet, short distance. So doesnt really need a wide lens and I do not require as good quality as front cameras (would want to save money here). Again, any suggestions?

Just looking for advise as to what cameras could be suitable, MP wise, lens wise etc, then I could focus on the models more closely.

Cat cables?
Cat5e is the standard. I have read that it should NOT be Copper Clad Aluminum(CCA), it should be pure copper conductor. Does the cable have any markers/labels to identify which is which? Should I be concerned about electrical interference? Thanks