Help Needed - Login Error on NVR W/ 5231

grumpcamel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Techbill,
Thank you for that. You are spot on correct. I plugged the PC into the back of the NVR and scanned the devices using the ConfigTool. This showed all the cameras connected to my NVR along with the problematic cameras showing as 'Uninitialized'. Opened a web browser and entered the IP camera address (10.1.1.x) which then brought up a page asking me to change the password. Went to the NVR and logged into the NVR admin section and went to camera registration. I changed the password for the camera to match the one I'd entered in the web browser. Then bingo, the camera worked.
Theres no need to dismantle the camera for a hard reset and I wished Id known this earlier as I could have saved myself from risking life and limb up a ladder! :winktongue:
For the sake of future thread reference make sure that the PC is plugged into the back of the NVR and not through your internet router as the router only accepts IP range 192.168.1.x. This means that the ConfigTool will not be able to find the cameras as they are on a different IP range (10.1.1.X).

Thanks again to all who have given input. Its certainly been a (fraught) learning experience!

Sifu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Sorry for bringing up an old topic but Im still having problems surrounding this issue.

I have an 8CH NVR which had 5 dahua's working on it no problem. Last week I ordered another camera to replace one of the existing as I wanted to go to the lower 2.8mm for a wide angle. When I switched it over the NVR was not picking the unit up and it was showing the error login 18 message.

I went through what everyone listed above and used config tool and it did locate the camera which showed it with an ip of 10.1.1.69. I typed this into the web browser but cant get it to connect to the web browser for the password prompt. Inside the NVR web interface is is showing the 4 original cameras as being able to login ok but the new replacement one I put in does not have the correct password. I;'ve tried the standard admin admin and also my NVR password but still no luck.

From what is mentioned above, I should be able to login via the camera's ip via the web browser and get to a page where I can put in a new password (this is a feature of the new dahua cameras and firmware? that you have to manually set a new password now?)

My pc is connected to the POE on the back of the NVR and so is the camera.

Any ideas or tips on what to do next please?

Thanks

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm solving this issue by upgrading the NVR firmware to the newer version which is capable to initialize and create a new password for the cameras. After upgrading the NVR and reseting it to factory defaults I never check the "Smart Add" box on the NVR activation screen (visible if you're using a monitor to view the NVR)

grumpcamel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Sifu
The only thing I can think of is to try a hard reset on the camera. This will set it back to factory defaults although it mean dismantling the camera and pressing a switch. There is a thread with pictures on this site on hard resetting the camera.
Then use the web browser and enter the ip of the camera. This should then allow you to enter a new password for the camera. Then go to the NVR admin screen and go to the camera registration section and enter the new password for the new camera.

Sifu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice but I finally got it sorted in the end.

The way it worked was I had to download the new configtool software instead of using the old one. Once that was done I had to go through the software and click the "initialize" button and set a new password. Going through the browser and entering the camera's IP address did NOT work for me.

Hopefully it works for anyone else that may have this problem in the future.

Thanks

Reaction score
"hard reset on the camera" .. how can i do that.. Please help meee..................... Thanks

Reaction score
So, first of all -- thanks to all for this thread. Saved my bacon!

Just so others hitting this issue have another data point: I purchased a new Dahua dome camera from B&H, plugged it into my Dahua DVR (POE) and had a login error on the screen. I followed this thread and resolved as follows:
  • Updated my NVR firmware. This update managed to remove the error on the screen but still no connection or video. This always takes me some time to figure out but got there eventually (I had the wrong firmware at first and it kept failing)!
  • I downloaded the cfg tool to my laptop, connected to the back of the DVR, and then used the tool to login to the new camera. AS documented above I got the 'change password prompt'. I updated and was able to get into the camera via the config tool.
  • Went back to the NVR and updated the parameters of the camera there (I had to add manually and set to IP also -- to 10.1.1.66 in my case). Updated IP and the new password. At the change of IP the NVR reset some items and I had to re-add the new password. After than it came up and video was seen :).
So it is definitely the security update for the cameras causing this issue. No longer is the default password 'admin' and requires an immediate setup of the password. If the DVR doesn't understand this (an old firmware) then you get into this situation.

NOTE: Dahua if you are watching -- a nice FAQ or similar would be nice to address this obvious issue you have introduced. I can see this causing many issues for folks.

P.S. No hard reset in my case.

Reaction score
The steps below fixed my problem.

I hope it will help someone.

All we have to do it . change the password in Camera and update the new password in NVR remote device...(No need of hard reset and config tool)

First change the password in camera

1) Connect data cable and power cable (if your router is capable of EPoe.. no need of power cable) to camera --- connect it to Router

2) Connect router to laptop or computer

3) Open 10.1.1.65 or 10.1.1.66 or 192.168.1.108

4) Change the password

5) Disconnect camera from router and power cable

6) Connect camera to NVR POE port ( If it is not POE port..you have connect both data cable to NVR and power cable to power supply)

7) It will show that “account is locked” or “incorrect password” or “Error does not support”

8) In NVR -- Go to main menu – setting -- remote device -- modify -- change the password to which you create before

9) Wait for 15 minutes…

That’s it …..

I hope it will help….

Thanks

Mark P

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's my experience in case it helps others:

I bought a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy to add to my Lorex 4K 8-camera kit.

I have a cable modem > router (non-wifi) > POE Switch > LOREX/Dahua NVR
Cameras are plugged into NVR, everything else hardwired in house goes into Switch.

I plugged the camera into NVR thinking it would just work. No dice. When viewing that camera in the NVR it said "10.1.1.67 conf.LoginErrorNo-18" on otherwise black screen. I believe I saw the same on the FlirCloud software on my PC.

I do see it in the "Remote Device" section in NVR, and it shows it with a 10.1.1.67 IP address. It shows it as not activated as indicated by the red dot instead of green dot. If I edit the entry, I don't see much of value that I can alter. I tried changing the port from 37777 to 35000 just to be the like the other Lorex cameras, but that didn't seem to do anything. It wasn't clear to me if that password field was for me to *assign* a password or enter one. In hindsight, I see that it's to enter the one that you need to set in the camera directly. I also tried to do a search in the top half of that page, and once found, click on that camera and then "Add". That lead to duplicate entries in the lower part of that form, but now with "35000" instead of the Port# (of the enthernet connection on back of NVR.) That doesn't seem to lead anywhere either.

I then connected the camera directly to my Switch and then tried the supposed default 192.168.1.108 in IE (and Chrome) on a PC plugged into the Switch, but nothing loaded in the webpage (it just timed out).

I also installed the Config Tool on my PC and that only found the NVR, not this camera (I wondered if it should find the other cameras plugged into the NVR, but wasn't sure).

I checked my router management page and this camera did not show up as connect (MAC address wasn't listed). I removed all other devices from Switch leaving just PC and Camera into Switch and the router identified the Switch and PC as present, but not the Camera. (Somewhere after this I believe I plugged everything back in, but don't recall exactly.)

I then tried going to 10.1.1.67 in IE (and Chrome) on my PC (connected to Switch) with the camera connected to the NVR, then also again with camera plugged directly into Switch. Neither got anywhere.

I then tried resetting the camera, thinking maybe the NVR changed the IP address to 10.* and that it needed to be back to 192.168.* for me to be able to access it when both it and the PC are both plugged into the Switch. I opened it up carefully and held down the reset button until the green LED went out and tried again with IE/Chrome using 192.168.1.108 with both Camera and PC connected to Switch, but still didn't work. I probably had NVR connected to Switch also at that point so I wonder if the NVR accessed the Camera through the Switch, quicker than I did, and put it back to 10.*. I'm not sure.

Checking back to the "Remote Device" section in NVR, I saw the camera again with 10.* just like before.

Now this time, I plugged my PC into the NVR, and also the Camera into the NVR. Now both the Config Tool and a webpage opened to 10.1.1.67 in IE were able to access this camera (as well as all cameras plugged into NVR).

Now I was able to create a new password for the Camera in the webpage, login to the webpage and see the feed, settings, etc.

As I went back to the NVR, I now noticed screen had a different error message for that camera. It now said something about "lockout" maybe referencing "password", I don't recall.

Then I went back to "Remote Device" section in NVR, edited the camera entry with the new password I just set in it through web interface, then some amount of time (minutes?) later it showed up. I tested another camera and putting in a wrong password in the Remote Device page, and then correcting it resulted in the camera quickly connecting and status icon during green. However with the new camera and first time entering the new password, it took notably longer to connect, maybe a minute or more. Those were tense moments with fingers crossed, but all worked out.

I then resulted in a black screen view for that camera in some situations (>4 in a grid?, remote viewing, etc). I went in to the Camera Settings and set the FPS to 15 in both the Main Stream as well as Substream #1 (which were both enabled already), and then also enabled Substream #2 (Called "Display Stream" in some interfaces) and set to 15 FPS as well. I modified some other setting as well to match the other LOREX cameras, but I believe this is what allowed me to view the Camera, which now shows up in all situations same as other cameras (various grid configurations directly in NVR monitor, various grid configurations in FlirCloud viewing from PC, and also in Lorex Secure Android App.)

Hope this helps others in similar situation.

Regards,
Mark

PS - When I buy the next camera, I will remove the NVR from the network and plug the Camera directly into the Switch and see if I can access it with the supposed default 192.168.1.108 IP via webpage.

Last edited: