Help Needed - Login Error on NVR W/ 5231

jon7487

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: I solved the issue :headbang:

Hello, I recently received two IPC-HDW5231RP-Z & when I plug either of them into my NVR5216-16P I am receiving an error that shows the cameras IP & says "conf.LoginErrorNo-18"

I Have two other 5231's that are working on the NVR along with 4 other various Dahua cameras.
I know the cable is good & Google doesn't seem to turn up any answers, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jon7487

n3wb
Reaction score
What your solution? Ive received same error.
I did a hard reset on the cameras, than connected via my PC at which point I was prompted to create a new password. I believe this has something to do with a new firmware because the password had to be 8 characters & include a symbol & I was not allowed to bypass & use the default "admin" password. I than connected the cameras to by NVR & edited the camera log in settings to match what I changed the password to.

This could be normal, this is my first time having to connect to a camera directly, all my others were plug & play. They also, from what I can tell simply used "admin" as the user & password.

Faezal

n3wb
Reaction score
I did a hard reset on the cameras, than connected via my PC at which point I was prompted to create a new password. I believe this has something to do with a new firmware because the password had to be 8 characters & include a symbol & I was not allowed to bypass & use the default "admin" password. I than connected the cameras to by NVR & edited the camera log in settings to match what I changed the password to.

This could be normal, this is my first time having to connect to a camera directly, all my others were plug & play. They also, from what I can tell simply used "admin" as the user & password.
Thank you very much. Really appreciate. I've solved the issue...

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had a similar issue. It seems the newer firmware has the camera take the same password as the NVR. Try the NVR password vs. the default. That was a couple hours of grief for me.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had a similar issue. It seems the newer firmware has the camera take the same password as the NVR. Try the NVR password vs. the default. That was a couple hours of grief for me.
I already tried that didn't work for me. I was so hoping.

grumpcamel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have an existing setup of a Dahua NVR4108-8P-4KS2 NVR box with two Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras connected which work great. Installation was almost plug and play and was straightforward.
I recently purchased two new Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras to add to the NVR but when installed, I get the "conf.LoginErrorNo-18" error for each the two new cameras.
Ive come across this thread and tried to read and understand the thread but found it a little difficult to understand being a relative newcomer. The IPs of the two new cameras are showing as 10.1.1.67 and 10.1.1.68.
I was wondering if someone could spare the time and give a step by step guide to what to do to get these two new cameras working. Im a bit at a loss here.
Thank you.

Faezal

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have an existing setup of a Dahua NVR4108-8P-4KS2 NVR box with two Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras connected which work great. Installation was almost plug and play and was straightforward.
I recently purchased two new Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras to add to the NVR but when installed, I get the "conf.LoginErrorNo-18" error for each the two new cameras.
Ive come across this thread and tried to read and understand the thread but found it a little difficult to understand being a relative newcomer. The IPs of the two new cameras are showing as 10.1.1.67 and 10.1.1.68.
I was wondering if someone could spare the time and give a step by step guide to what to do to get these two new cameras working. Im a bit at a loss here.
Thank you.
Do hard reset to the camera. Connect the camera to PC or laptop. Login using camera default ip address (please refer manual for default ip). It will asked for create new login.
The ip address 10.1.1.67 & 68 is the ip given by nvr once the camera connect to nvr.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there,
Thank you.
Hi Grumpcamel,

Due to recent security issues in IP cameras the vendors ( Dahua, Hikvision ) have been changing things on the cameras a bit to make it harder for bots / malware to cyberjack them.

( Faezal just posted what I was planning to post - so definitely try that .. remember to use the Dahua tools to access it - see Dahua site downloads )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Default IP after resetting is 192.168.1.108
There is no need to use the tools, simply use a browser and the default IP. As soon as you hit the web gui, it will prompt for a new password.

But, I have the 4 ch version of that NVR, it's my experience with the newer firmwares, that a hard reset on a cam. Then plug it into the NVR, wait a least a minute and it will auto detect and set up the connection.
Be sure to only plug one new cam in at a time.

grumpcamel

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
The units a both brand new out of the box. I plugged each one into the router and also directly into the computer ethernet port and used the Config tool to scan to determine the IP address.
Both cameras are not detected by the Config tool which is a bit odd.

Faezal

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
The units a both brand new out of the box. I plugged each one into the router and also directly into the computer ethernet port and used the Config tool to scan to determine the IP address.
Both cameras are not detected by the Config tool which is a bit odd.
Do the hard reset although it is new out of the box.

grumpcamel

n3wb
Reaction score
I will do but it'll have to wait till the weekend as I have to get up the ladder and dismantle the unit to get to the reset switch.
They dont make it easy. :)

grumpcamel

n3wb
Reaction score
The suspense was killing me so I decided to take one of the cameras down, dismantle and did a hard reset by pressing on the switch for ten seconds.
Connected it to a computer and the router but still no response using the factory default IP of 192.168.1.108. The router doesnt even show anything is connected.
Connected the camera to the NVR and the "conf.LoginErrorNo-18" message appears again.
If its any help, when connecting the camera to the NVR, a green light lights up on the circuit board of the unit where it didnt when connecting to the ethernet port of the computer or the router.
I am now at a loss. :(
Any further suggestions gratefully accepted.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have a PoE injector between the camera and computer/router or an external power brick? Your NVR has PoE capabilities but most routers don't and neither do computers so it is likely that nothing lit up on the router/computer because the camera didn't have power.

grumpcamel

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that Terk. I'll buy a PoE injector and give it a try.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not tried this myself but I think this should work unless the ports on NVR is coded not to pass traffic to each other.

Plug the camera back into NVR PoE port and also plug a laptop into the NVR PoE port. Run the Config tool to see if it detects the camera, if it does then make note of the ip address that the camera is using. Enter that ip address in your browser and it probably will prompt you to setup a password. Enter that new information in the NVR device manager and power cycle the camera.