Help! Northern MN outdoor system

yose

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a storage unit facility up in northern Minnesota. I am looking at Hikvision for cameras and nvr. I am going to do a 16 channel system. I will run 8 cameras outside. I want to be able to see license plates. It does get extremely cold in the winter. Any installation tips running ethernet cable outside underground? What cameras and nvr do you suggest?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
yose,

Welcome to the forum!

Your questions covered many topics, and are (understandably) basic questions (since you're a newbie).
Do some basic research on the forum. Every basic question has been answered, so do some searches. You'll get info quickly, much faster than posting and then waiting.

I want to be able to see license plates.
Seeing license plates at night is a real challenge, due to reflections from the plate. And being blinded by headlights. You can do LPR, but it will require some work and tweaking.
Dahua 4MP 25mm LPR Modification
Another License plate capture project
Reading number plates. How far, what resolution and what lens?
Need a camera capable of picking up license plates from about 200 feet away
License Plates at Night

What cameras and nvr do you suggest?
Personally, I prefer Dahua. Hikvision cams aren't easy to update the firmware, and can be "bricked". Check this forum to see the many threads on bricked hiks.
For nighttime images, the Dahua Starlight is best. Check this forum for reviews by nayr.

Any installation tips running ethernet cable outside underground?
Check caligirls mountain system installation.
Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily
Other outdoor cable info:
Can POE Cables Go Underground?

Again, welcome to the forum!
Fastb

yose

n3wb
Reaction score
where is a good place to order dahua products? what do you suggest for cams and nvr?

Jamil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a storage unit facility up in northern Minnesota. I am looking at Hikvision for cameras and nvr. I am going to do a 16 channel system. I will run 8 cameras outside. I want to be able to see license plates. It does get extremely cold in the winter. Any installation tips running ethernet cable outside underground? What cameras and nvr do you suggest?
You could also consider a Hikvision solution which could also work well?
Some Hikvision cameras especially the ANPR ones can have a built in heater.

Regards

Jamil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also to note if you buy Hikvision from a proper source the chances of them getting bricked is near enough nil. I have sold 100's of Hikvision cameras last month and never had an issue upgrading these cameras as they are EU spec'd.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Yose,
Jail makes a good point. Stay away from China versions, either hike or dahua. Get International vers (eg EU)
And buy from a reputable seller,ta avoid getting a Chinese model that the seller re-flashed to English (or whatever)