Help on camera type and placement

cody0707

n3wb
Reaction score
I will close on my newly constructed home at the end of the month. I want to add cameras as soon as possible. This will be my first system outside of a simple Arlo system. Being new I figured I would consult you all and see what would be recommended. I am not new to running wires and feel it won't be as complex as the selection of the cameras.

Here's a bit more information:
-There will always be 2 cars in the driveway. Both vehicles will be parked on the same side of the driveway to allow access to park a vehicle inside the left side of the garage.
-There will be a small boat parked on the garage side of the home in the side yard.
-The home is on a corner lot with a street in the front and a street on the garage side of the house.

Here are some pictures of the front of the home. I am standing in the street taking this picture to give you an idea of the distance to the street.
home.jpgCapture.JPG

What cameras would you recommend to cover at the very least all of the access points to the home as well as the vehicles that will not be in the garage?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
At first glance, this is what I would do.

Red zones are IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocals.
Blue zones are fixed IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm.
Green zones are fixed IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm or IPC-Color4K-T 3.6mm if enough ambient light is available.
1686014961771.png

Your soffits don't look to be too high, so mounting there should be fine, especially if using a varifocal to look down the entire side of the home.
You also might be able to get away with soffit mounting over the driveway as well. The two varifocals are for catching door checkers and the green 3.6mm is for a driveway overview. If you have enough light (change your coach light bulbs out for 5000K 1400 lumen LEDs) you should go with the full color 4K-T. This will give you color details for anyone who comes in your driveway.
The 2.8mm units at the door are for IDing anyone who comes up to the doors.

These are just places to start. Fortunately your house is a pretty basic shape, but as you get your system started you will find other areas you would like to cover.

Check out my threads below. They have a lot of good shots of my progression and why I suggested some of the locations I did. My driveway cameras are mounted under the garage door header.

Last edited: