help on most accurate event for inside opposite an entrance door

consort

n3wb
Reaction score
i want to install a 5.4.5 firmware wifi cube cam above a closet door 6' opposite a main doorway, which will be powered by a nearby closet light socket. the objective is to only capture whoever enters and exists the apartment and what they may be carrying.

i do not want to capture anyone near the door, using the closet, and optimally i should be able to poke my head through the door to speak to someone outside in the apartment building common hallway without being recorded (when the door is not open wide enough for a person to slip through).

i started off using basic event : motion detection - this accurately got anyone going in and out when i drew a box detection zone around the door top corner, however it would inadvertently trip when a nearby light was turned on, or even when a shadow was thrown on the door from someone walking between it and a distant light source.

i then tried using smart event : line crossing detection - and experimented with a>b b<a and a<>b. this worked far better at ignoring shadows and lights going on, but for some inexplicable reason it was only 80% accurate (having nothing to do with how wide or fast the door was opened) so 2:10 people were able to enter and exit the door without being recorded at all (well after the 3 minute event trigger reloading period). i also got about 1:9 people by door without opening it captures, but that is far better than the 9:10 i was getting using motion detection (from shadows, lights on/off etc).

if this was mission critical, i'd get a second cube shooting from another angle hoping between the two cubes i'd get closer to 100% of open door events, or i would get a ccd that's linked to a micro switch on the door, and simply use that mechanical trigger to event the camera - but it's not that important and i would like to remain within the abilities of a single cube cam then maximize my intended event capturing odds.

since i'm new at this, i figured i'd ask the wider cam using audience here to brainstorm how they would best apply this cube, in hopes you could come up with ways to improve my intended event recording odds. notice the cube is mounted horizontally so i can get a portrait recording of and round the door - this way not only can i catch who they are - but also what they may be carrying.

the initial reason for this application is the apt is going to be renovated all of april, and the homeowner who is away at work all day wants to be able to monitor the dozen or so contractors and building staff who go- in and out and that they are carrying their tools and supplies, not the flat screen tv. the secondary reason after the renovation is complete, is so the parent can monitor what friends or relatives a teen household member may bring over after school while the parent is working late.

here's a video link to give you some visual idea what i'm trying to do. please notice the high opposite doorway camera position, the dim hallway beyond, light painted door and frame, the black tape used to better contrast where the a<>b trigger area is set on the door edge but above the heads of family simply walking past the door from the inside. obviously we don't care who's outside the door (as a house owner would) until the door gets opened by someone from the inside or from the outside. the door is 80" tall, so i have a good 12" of door top to define as my vertical line cross as rarely will a family member or friend staying in the apt and using the closet (above where the camera is) be over 5'8".

finally, i should probably ask those with a lot of cam experience - am i expecting too much? are 80% positive captures and 10% negative captures as much as i can hope for out of $80 cube cam? it's just the event will not only record 20s of video, but it will email and app alert the home owners. it would also be nice if they didn't get recorded too often while just relaxing at home without having opened the door at all.

Last edited:

consort

n3wb
Reaction score
i'm surprised you'd suggest this given that pir will detect all areas around the cam,
not a specific visually isolated zone, so pir is the most useless feature for this application.

smart event : intrusion detection has the same problem as basic event : motion detection
they both trigger when you simply turn the light on inside the room.

basic event : video tampering - it's linkage method lacks trigger video recording
and it does not seem to work even as an alarm|email trigger, so that's useless.

i guess i'm "stuck" with line crossing, which is less accurate than motion detection
but is able to ignore false triggers like shadow movement and lights being turned on.

just out of curiosity... since hikvision has a huge line of security products, what do they sell the
would add a mechanical trigger to my cam so recording would only trigger when the door opens.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i'm surprised you'd suggest this given that pir will detect all areas around the cam,
not a specific visually isolated zone, so pir is the most useless feature for this application.
Maybe you could 'AND' the PIR event with the Motion event to get what you need.