Help request: Asus OpenVPN setup for noobs

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an Asus AC87U router that offer PPTP and OpenVPN service. I have read the tutorials on asus website and others, but I'm just not getting "it".

I have OpenVPN enabled, but not sure what/how to get the desktop/laptops and mobile phones working and the NVR/cameras "in" the VPN. I'm not sure I even grasp the concept correctly.

Anyone got a few minutes to help a dumb m@th&/<>#%^ with this?

Will having a VPN affect my kodi/roku/PS4, etc?

20160409_111611.jpg20160409_111655.jpg20160409_111543.jpg20160409_111556.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First
Create a Username and password for every account that logs in, That way for example if you lose a cell phone you just automatically delete that profile vs rule. I went ahead and blurred out my Information this is how mine looks.

Second
On Advance Settings go to
Respond to DNS :YES
Username/Password Authentication : YES

Third
On your Cell phone if you have a iPhone or Android download the APP
This is for Android based

http://www.asus.com/support/Knowledge-Detail/11/2/RTAC68U/8DCA7DA6-E5A0-40C2-8AED-B9361E89C844/

Go back to The main page were you added the Usernames and export the Open VPN Configuration here is a picture and save it to your desktop

Fourth
OpenVPN and import the file putting in your username credentials you create on your router and now you should be VPN'ed to your Router. Open up your IVMS software or whatever software you use and you should be good. It's like you are actually connected to your home network with out the WAN IP address for example if you want to hit your NVR all you would have to do is open up your phone browser punch in your ip scheme for example; 192.168.1.XXX Instead of your ISP IP Address

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! Had a thunderstorm in Vegas, so kids wanted to play outside. Will try to implement when I get home :)

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It works on android phone!!!

I installed tunnelblick on macbook, but I'm on home wireless, so I'll have to test it at work on Monday.

Do I need to do anything else as far as using HIDDNS / IVMS on mobile devices, etc?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if your IP changes you'll likely want to setup a Dynamic DNS host to put into your VPN Configuration instead of your WAN IP, this way it always knows how to connect to your router from the outside..

the router likely already has support for Dynamic DNS, set it up.

LeeH

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It has, xxxxx.asuscom.com is its default. NoIP works too.

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
did you get it figured out with my instructions?
Having issues with settings for DDNS and tunnelblick on macbook. Can't get tunnelblick to accept openVPN client configuration file. Nothing works to import it. I'm working the next few days, so will not be able to hit it until Wednesday evening.

Android phone works fine!