Help setting up a ip-camera as a "trail cam" at a mountain cabin

Brakar

n3wb
Reaction score
I need help selecting an outdoor cam to my mountain cabin. The purpose of the system will be to shoot footage of the many small animals which we can see tracks from in the snow. (Mostly hares, squirrels, foxes, otters, etc). Range to the animals will usually be between 10 and 150 feet.

Ideally the cam should fullfill most of these requirements:
- typical trail cam functionality; (time laps and more advanced motion detection than std ip cams)
- relatively high res, > 4mp still, 720p
- good in dark situations
- Wi-Fi enabled, (connect to synology surveillance station)
- able to take power from external source
- ip66 or better
- shipping to Norway, (eg aliexpress;-))

So, more or less a ip/trail cam fusion... Does anything such exist, or what might be close fits?

Brakar

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is a picture from the "small animal highway" outside. I allready have a hikvision ip camera on the other side of the cabin, but I have problems setting up the motion detection to film these animals. (Either too sensitive/recording every movements in leaves/shadows - or to in-sensitive). Hence the need for something more "trail-camera" like.
20180330_144906.jpg

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could get a cam with an alarm input and hook up a motion sensor to trigger it.
You may have issues with the smaller animals not tripping it though.
There are laser/IR tripwires out there that you could use. Depends on how in depth you want to get.

Brakar

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I think it might be the simplest solution, since I may then just add another ip-cam like the one I allready have - and connect it to a motion sensor. Found this description of how to connect a trigger to a Hikvision cam, similar to mine: How to use Hikvision Audio and Alarm IO connections

The motion sensor(s) should then probably be placed pretty close to the detection area, because of the relative small animals.

Any suggestions for suitable sensors?
(I know nothing of such sensors/what to google for).

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It will depend on where you put the sensor. They usually need 12 VDC for power although you may find some that are battery powered.
I would search for security motion detectors. Brands like DSC, honeywell, optex, bosch are all good brands.
You can likely find one for around $80. Some will be over $250.
Hope that helps somewhat.

Brakar

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for help and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I have now ordered a new Hikvision 8MP IP Camera DS-2CD2385FWD-I with a 8mm lense, but no alarm IO.

So two options:
1. I will start with the new camera and "zoome in" on a small area close to the cabin. Then hope for the cameras built in motion detection to work good enough. (May also try use Synology surveillance station for detection).

2. If that do not work, I will switch the two cameras - since the old (4MP) one has alarm IO, and connect a trigger/detector. That camera is allready mounted in a nesting box, so I can hang it in a tree or something.

Last edited: