Help setting up Iphone BI app

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I now properly have my dual NIC BI machine setup (I think). Trying to get the mobile app to connect. I open the mobile app and enter my license key, it looks up the LAN and WAN which match what it says when I am in blue iris -> settings --> web server. I press connect and it says unable to make connection. What would my first step in trouble shooting this be. I really don't know anything about networking

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
actually at the bottom of the New Server page on the blue iris app it asks for username and password, under Lan and WAn. what username and password am I supposed to enter? I was entering my cameras UN and password

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your computer IP. NOT your NIC on router.
that is what bi will use.
do ipconfig in cmd find out.

Also, did you go to: blue iris main menu. settings users? you have to add a user name/password you will use to log in.

and are you using a VPN to connect outside of your network?

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is your computer IP. NOT your NIC on router.
that is what bi will use.
do ipconfig in cmd find out.

Also, did you go to: blue iris main menu. settings users? you have to add a user name/password you will use to log in.

and are you using a VPN to connect outside of your network?

I setup a user. it also already had one alled local console in there which I just added a username and pw to. I did cmd ipconfig but the ip address there was already auto populated in this login with the port number at the end of it.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no I don't have a vpn setup
suggest using this if connecting outside. wan.

I setup a user. it also already had one alled local console in there which I just added a username and pw to. I did cmd ipconfig but the ip address there was already auto populated in this login with the port number at the end of it.
what is your computer nic where internet is connected ip? that is what you need to use.

Is the IP different than the NIC camera card that you are seeing under web server? When I first set this up it was pulling up LAN as the NIC card with cams. Then it pulled up internet NIC so that is why I am just making sure you are using the correct IP.

But for connecting outside your network I am not sure without a VPN. Do you have asus router - it is how I have my VPN setup.

Last edited:

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
suggest using this if connecting outside. wan.

what is your computer nic where internet is connected ip? that is what you need to use.

Is the IP different than the NIC camera card that you are seeing under web server? When I first set this up it was pulling up LAN as the NIC card with cams. Then it pulled up internet NIC so that is why I am just making sure you are using the correct IP.

But for connecting outside your network I am not sure without a VPN. Do you have asus router - it is how I have my VPN setup.

the ipv4 address for the NIc that's plugged into ethernet? it shows 192.168.1.134 in ipconfig. but that's also the same number the blue iris app has been using for the LAN just with a : and port number after it.

I have asus wireless router but the main router that the isp company installed im not sure what brand it is

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the ipv4 address for the NIc that's plugged into ethernet? it shows 192.168.1.134 in ipconfig. but that's also the same number the blue iris app has been using for the LAN just with a : and port number after it.

I have asus wireless router but the main router that the isp company installed im not sure what brand it is
why not setup the asus wireless or bridge mode so you can use the vpn function?

so type in the 192.168.1.134:81 in your app. when connected to wifi it will work...

for wan - you'll need to setup the vpn on asus router and openvpn app on phone to get it to connect outside.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
why not setup the asus wireless or bridge mode so you can use the vpn function?

so type in the 192.168.1.134:81 in your app. when connected to wifi it will work...

for wan - you'll need to setup the vpn on asus router and openvpn app on phone to get it to connect outside.

ah yes I wasn't connected to wifi. so that worked when on wifi. but the main thing is being able to view the cameras when not at home on the wifi so to do that I ned to setup the vpn I guess. which I have no idea how lol

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah yes I wasn't connected to wifi. so that worked when on wifi. but the main thing is being able to view the cameras when not at home on the wifi so to do that I ned to setup the vpn I guess. which I have no idea how lol
very easy:
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router

set it up on your asus router. it gives you file. upload that file your asus router made on the openvpn app on your phone. You need to download the openvpn app on your phone.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If not using VPN in order to access BI remotely, in your router you must forward that port 81 to the LAN IP of the BI server (NOT recommended, VPN is best).

Then, to access remotely you use http://Your-WAN-IP:81 as the URL in your browser.

If WAN IP is not static, then a DDNS is suggested; then you'll access remotely something like http://Your-Hostname:81

To reiterate, a VPN is best, port forwarding is very risky!

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If not using VPN in order to access BI remotely, in your router you must forward that port 81 to the LAN IP of the BI server (NOT recommended, VPN is best).

Then, to access remotely you use http://Your-WAN-IP:81 as the URL in your browser.

If WAN IP is not static, then a DDNS is suggested; then you'll access remotely something like http://Your-Hostname:81

To reiterate, a VPN is best, port forwarding is very risky!
he has a RT-AC68U so he should have this setup and running vpn in no time.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
he has a RT-AC68U so he should have this setup and running vpn in no time.
following that guide right now. just stopping at the part where the default port is 1194. the OP in the link blacked his out so im assuming I should change it to some random combo of 4 digits for security?

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
okay so I changed the port according to that link and now Im connected! but when I try to connect to blue iris it wont let me connect unless wifi is turned on. it also doesn't let me open safari and type in the ip of my camera to get into the camera gui.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
okay so I changed the port according to that link and now Im connected! but when I try to connect to blue iris it wont let me connect unless wifi is turned on. it also doesn't let me open safari and type in the ip of my camera to get into the camera gui.
however when I type in 192.168.1.1 it does take me to my router login screen. this is when im not connected to wifi.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try port 1194 - you loaded the new file after you updated the port? you are using the openvpn app? What did you type as the IP?

What are you typing in the browser to load ui3?

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try port 1194 - you loaded the new file after you updated the port? you are using the openvpn app? What did you type as the IP?

What are you typing in the browser to load ui3?

yes changed the port to 1194. loaded the new file and connected to OpenVPN. I typed into the browser my cameras ip which is 192.168.40.200. nothing comes up. but when I do 192.168.1.1 it brings me to my router log in. I changed the ip address and I guess the subnet of all my cameras on the 2nd NIC. its like I can VPN into my main NIC but don't have access to the 2nd one where the cameras are

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yes changed the port to 1194. loaded the new file and connected to OpenVPN. I typed into the browser my cameras ip which is 192.168.40.200. nothing comes up. but when I do 192.168.1.1 it brings me to my router log in. I changed the ip address and I guess the subnet of all my cameras on the 2nd NIC. its like I can VPN into my main NIC but don't have access to the 2nd one where the cameras are
do I still use the same LAN ip address that allowed my blue iris app to connect when I was on wifi?