Help setting up Iphone BI app

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do I still use the same LAN ip address that allowed my blue iris app to connect when I was on wifi?
yes... use same lan ip for ui3 browser and app.
use your ip to connect when outside of network using bi app.

not sure what part you are stuck on? let us know

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yes... use same lan ip for ui3 browser and app.
use your ip to connect when outside of network using bi app.

not sure what part you are stuck on? let us know

I am connected on open vpn. but when I try to connect to blue iris using the same LAN and WAN addresses from before, It doesn't let me connect unless im on the wifi again.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am connected on open vpn. but when I try to connect to blue iris using the same LAN and WAN addresses from before, It doesn't let me connect unless im on the wifi again.
I'm not sure about that. Maybe something is not setup with vpn router and connecting to phone outside of lan. Maybe someone that has more troubleshooting experience can chime in with help. Sorry.

To confirm: what is the IP you are using in WAN address on your app - is it your IP you see on BI that says remote, external (WAN/Internet) access?

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. Maybe something is not setup with vpn router and connecting to phone outside of lan. Maybe someone that has more troubleshooting experience can chime in with help. Sorry.

To confirm: what is the IP you are using in WAN address on your app - is it your IP you see on BI that says remote, external (WAN/Internet) access?
yes the WAN and LAN in the blue iris app are the same as shown in the blue iris desktop program under settings --> web server. These numbers allowed me to connect when I was on the wifi. but when I turn wifi off I can no longer connect via the blue iris app even when this OpenVPN program is connected.

the OpenVPN program I think is working because it allows me to access my router login (when wifi is OFF) by typing 192.168.1.1 into safari. which I cannot do without the OpenVPN being connected.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes the WAN and LAN in the blue iris app are the same as shown in the blue iris desktop program under settings --> web server. These numbers allowed me to connect when I was on the wifi. but when I turn wifi off I can no longer connect via the blue iris app even when this OpenVPN program is connected.

the OpenVPN program I think is working because it allows me to access my router login (when wifi is OFF) by typing 192.168.1.1 into safari. which I cannot do without the OpenVPN being connected.
Sorry my friend a more technical advanced member might have you look into troubleshooting as I am not sure. Please keep us updated on what you find.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry my friend a more technical advanced member might have you look into troubleshooting as I am not sure. Please keep us updated on what you find.
okay thanks. So my router currently shows that the vpn username I setup is connected. does any 1 know why I wouldn't be able to connect with the blue iris mobile app if that's working?

does it have something to do with opening ports or port forwarding? I uploaded a picture of this remote connection wizard test that looks like its failing from in the blue iris desktop app

Attachments

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The port does not need to be opened. To connect to BI via VPN you just need to include the port number. An example would be 192.168.86.58:81.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The port does not need to be opened. To connect to BI via VPN you need to include the port number. An example would be 192.168.86.58:81.
yes that's how mine looks for both WAn and LAN. the ipaddress and port 81 match what it shows in blue iris on the desktop. I can connect to it just fine when on wifi. but when I turn wifi off and OpenVPN on I cannot connect to the blue iris mobile app anymore

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What happens if you enter the ip address with the port number into a browser on your mobile device with your wifi off and your VPN enabled?

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What happens if you enter the ip address with the port number into a browser on your mobile device with your wifi off and your VPN enabled?
it takes me to a log in screen. which apparently logs me into some blue iris web interface after I type in the UN and pw. but my goal is to use the app. what does this mean that I can log in here via web browser but not the app

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay solved this. I guess I was misunderstanding before. I had the lan and wan ip addresses matching what blue iris web server tab said. But once I connected via the OpenVPN I needed to change the WAN to match the LAN number, not what blue iris web server tab still said. Once I did that I was able to connect to the app without WiFi. Thanks for all the help. Super nice and generous forum.

As a side question. Why would anyone use the ui3 web interface over the app?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay solved this. I guess I was misunderstanding before. I had the lan and wan io addresses matching what the blue iris said. But once I connected via the OpenVPN I needed to change the WAN to match the LAN number. Once I did that I was able to connect to the app without WiFi. Thanks for all the help. Super nice and generous forum.

As a side question. Why would anyone use the ui3 web interface over the app?
UI3 is used for home use like on another computer you type in like you did to watch your cams on laptop/tablet/computer/tv etc.

For OPENVPN - you are using 192.168.xxx.xxx for both lan/wan? Is that the way it should be done? I always have regular IP as WAN and 192 in LAN.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UI3 is used for home use like on another computer you type in like you did to watch your cams on laptop/tablet/computer/tv etc.

For OPENVPN - you are using 192.168.xxx.xxx for both lan/wan? Is that the way it should be done? I always have regular IP as WAN and 192 in LAN.
Yeah I’m using the same exact number 192.168.xxx.xxx:XX for both wan and lan. I wonder why it would be working for you that way and not me then

Edit - sorry. Not for openvpn. For the blue iris mobile app

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I’m using the same exact number 192.168.xxx.xxx:XX for both wan and lan. I wonder why it would be working for you that way and not me then

Edit - sorry. Not for openvpn. For the blue iris mobile app
Honestly, I rather use 192.168 in both wan/lan and not have my IP in app but I am not sure.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure, you might want to check your OVPN settings and make sure the "Connect Via" option is set "any network".
Is this the same as...

Client will use VPN to access:
-local network only
-or internet and local network

It sounds like that might be the issue jayleoness was having.