Help setting up VTO2311R-WP doorbell?

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not finding a lot of information on setting up this doorbell cam? (Probably should have researched it further before buying but I only had a few hours Andy's autumn sale ended lol)

I've got it configured and added to BI, but it's based on the new Web Service2.0 firmware so between that and not understanding the whole "VTO/VTH ecosystem" I'm a little lost.

#1. My main issue right now is it doesn't seem like IR is working at all? From what I'm reading it's supposedly IR compatible, but even very close proximity objects/faces are completely dark right now. I'm not finding any IR setting in the Local Settings area of the camera configuration? FWIW, I'm using Chrome, is it possible the settings page isn't loading properly and that the config tool might work better?

#2. Can I use this doorbell camera as intended for alerts/video/audio/2-way-calls from my phone with it connected to my 2nd (no internet access) camera NIC? I see there's an app, DMSS, for it? (Honestly, it seems a little like spyware for my phone :/ lol) - Is there anyway of using the BI app instead?

#3. Can this be used with a wireless physical bell? I found this very informative post, VTO2231R-WP and a mechanical chime, but it seems like a lot of work for the 3 people a year that ring our doorbell lol. Is there any kind of wireless option (or a networked option)? Is that what the VTH monitor thing is for?

Thank you

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe the camera IR is triggered by someone ringing the doorbell, pressing the button. Mine gets IR illumination from auxiliary IRs that were already in place.

Without being connected to the internet there is no way to use GDMSS, or whatever they call it, to access the camera. The BI and the BI app don't support the audio, VOIP, for it to be able to work. I've thought about enabling the WiFi to be able to access it from "outside" (give the WiFi config an address on my regular LAN).

I know of no way to use a wireless bell with the VTO. There is no way to interface, safely, to get a button push other than what I did using the opto coupler as I showed in the thread you mentioned. While it may seem like a lot of work, it is a safe, reliable and relatively easy way to get support for a normal doorbell.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this thread for a similar doorbell and my thoughts on how to get around keeping the unit off the internet and still do two-way talk (the button doesn't work without internet but let BI alert you someone is there and then initiate two-way on your end with the DMSS app)

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe the camera IR is triggered by someone ringing the doorbell, pressing the button. Mine gets IR illumination from auxiliary IRs that were already in place.

Without being connected to the internet there is no way to use GDMSS, or whatever they call it, to access the camera. The BI and the BI app don't support the audio, VOIP, for it to be able to work. I've thought about enabling the WiFi to be able to access it from "outside" (give the WiFi config an address on my regular LAN).

I know of no way to use a wireless bell with the VTO. There is no way to interface, safely, to get a button push other than what I did using the opto coupler as I showed in the thread you mentioned. While it may seem like a lot of work, it is a safe, reliable and relatively easy way to get support for a normal doorbell.
Ah, I haven't tried the bell at night thanks!...and figured I might adding another IR illuminator to the front of the house lol

I'll take another read of the/your mechanical chime thread, it didn't really seem that bad I was just hoping for an easy way out!

See this thread for a similar doorbell and my thoughts on how to get around keeping the unit off the internet and still do two-way talk (the button doesn't work without internet but let BI alert you someone is there and then initiate two-way on your end with the DMSS app)
Interesting workaround, I'll take a look, thanks!