Help - suddenly no disk logging of clips ?

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
New user here. BI and camera and iPhone app installed today. Worked beautifully for a couple of hours. Still mostly works great. Live view of camera is wonderful. BI alerts motion detected. Etc Etc Etc.

BUT, "suddenly" (an hour ago), disk logging of clips stopped. Can't figure out why. What I mean is that BI is no longer creating or extending clip files (in the New folder)

About that time I installed the iPhone app, and set a password on the BI web server. And I'm watching the live feed on my phone. But can't see why that would stop logging of clips?

Stumped. I've repair/regenerated the db. The logging disk has plenty of space (930Gb free). CPU usage is only 14%. Folder size limit is 500Gb (only has 400mb now). No time limit on clip age. The two clips that were generated earlier this evening are still there and can be played back. Nothing in the log file that would seem to indicate a problem.

WHOA! Disk logging just started! I see three log files now. Started after about an hour of no logging. But now it's quit again. Then it restarted again for a while. Now it's stopped again.

One clip started before motion was detected, then stopped after 18 minutes.

Next clip started with a motion alert and loged for 4 minutes.

HELP! Hint? Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@tdhg566 Are the clips actually 4 and 18 minuets of recorded video respectively?
Have you messed with the profiles? Also not the traffic signal by default controls recording unless you uncheck that specific function , so accidentally toggling the traffic signal can stop recording.

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the help. Wellllll, I started recording at about 21:47. It stopped at about 22:25, then restarted at 22:31, then stopped at 22:48 (that's about 18 minutes). Then stopped for 21 minutes, then ran for almost 39 minutes. It stopped about 6 minutes ago (the blue bar at the bottom of the display ended at 23:47 and it's now 23:52).

All the while the stoplight has been green.

I have not (intentionally) changed any profile. I know where the profile tab is, and have looked at it, but nothing else.

Appreciate your suggestion

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hmmm, post a screen shot of your motion tab AND record tab.

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I'm confused by the blue bar at the bottom of the console. A period of time will pass where the blue bar seems to not extend. Then all of a sudden it will "fill in" to the far right of the timeline. ?is that when the file is written to disk? At this moment, it appears to be logging. I still have the gaps from earlier this evening, but I will let it run all night and see what it looks like in the morning.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I'm confused by the blue bar at the bottom of the console. A period of time will pass where the blue bar seems to not extend. Then all of a sudden it will "fill in" to the far right of the timeline. ?is that when the file is written to disk? At this moment, it appears to be logging. I still have the gaps from earlier this evening, but I will let it run all night and see what it looks like in the morning.
The timeline should display the recording in real time, though I havent watched it carefully as recordings are taking place. A few things to note, if you are using combine and cut, the timeline will appear to display a color (default blue) when there is no recording. You might consider disabling combine and cut (in the record tab)
Also, you can set a distinct color for EACH camera so they dont appear as one blob. Camera properties>general>event color

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
hmmm, post a screen shot of your motion tab AND record tab.
I have the window clip. ?how do I insert it into the reply? Only way I can see is to make a file? I know I have the clip, as I can Ctrl-V it into an email message????

I MAY have found something. ?is the default Video setting on the Record tab for all profiles normally "When triggered"?, then for 10 minutes? That's what all of my profiles are set to. Might explain some things, because I see motion alerts that would keep the recording going. But there are some anomalies, like recording that happened 21:47-22:21 without any motion alerts. And right now no logging is happening (no blue bar at the bottom of the console), but stoplight is green

Let me know about how to post clips.

Mega thanks for your help. This is absolutely cool. I'm ready to buy more cameras. Just have to get past the first few BI hurdles.

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
The timeline should display the recording in real time, though I havent watched it carefully as recordings are taking place. A few things to note, if you are using combine and cut, the timeline will appear to display a color (default blue) when there is no recording. You might consider disabling combine and cut (in the record tab)
Also, you can set a distinct color for EACH camera so they dont appear as one blob. Camera properties>general>event color
I only have one camera right now. So no confusion on color :peaceful: I just disabled the Combine and Cut.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Use the windows sniping tool to create an image file then simply hit the insert image icon on the top of the reply box.

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
Can not work on this more tonight. Will let it run tonight and see what happens in the morning.

Thanks a million for the help tonight.

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
I did not know about the Snipping Tool. Probably the last time I captured a screen print of a window was some years ago. Used Alt-PrtSc. clearly the snipping tool is light years ahead. Thanks so much!

I "think" I'm beginning to understand how BI generally works, at least with regard to these clips. I've made sure all the profiles for my one camera are set to motion trigger, and I did increase the sensitivity of the detection. I also enabled 1 second (30 frames) of pre-trigger. I let it run all night and the cats triggered the camera throughout the night. I've reviewed the alerts and watched the clips. Now I'm playing with the shutter speed in the camera itself, and the impact on noise generated by the camera sensor. I think I understand the interface now, and if I should decide to use continuous record on a camera at some point, I know where to set it.

Thank you thank you thank you. Your help was invaluable