Help/Suggestions with my install (camera placement)

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got two of the Dahua Starlight Turrets (IPC-HDW5321R-Z) earlier this week like a lot of other forum members and am working on getting them set up. I have one already installed in it's permanent place on my front porch. This hits most of the doors on the front porch (we have 4 total and this hits 3 of them) and I'm very happy with its placement. It also gets the first 1/4 of the driveway, the road, the mailboxes and it clearly sees the spot that I put our trash on pickup day. The only issue is the light that's on at night lighting up the front of our house. Haven't checked the view with that light off yet.

Anyway, the issue I'm having is the camera I want to put on the barn. It's 250 ft from the house. Here's a picture of the front of the barn. I'm standing behind the big propane tank (that you'll see in future pics).

The barn is 40 ft wide and has a big door right in the middle and a man door on the right hand corner. I have a 3.6mm Hosafe 1MP camera in the upper left hand corner of the barn. This has worked well for me for a while and if it didn't re-boot itself every 90 seconds or so I'd highly recommend it as a cheap 'whatever' camera. It was cheap ($35 or so) has pretty decent daytime footage and came with power injectors and a power supply. For the price, really great camera. Oh and it's ONVIF. Amazon.com : HOSAFE 1MB6 HD IP Camera Outdoor 1MP 1280x720P Night Vision ONVIF H.264 Motion Detection Email Alert Remote View Via Smart Phone/Tablet/PC : Camera & Photo

It got the license plate pretty good. Granted it's just sitting there and is only about 20 ft from the camera.
Night time isn't all the best...Ok it's really damn shitty....and it can't keep the time/date right for the life of itself.

Anyway I'm hoping to do away with this camera (and move it to the chicken coop where a camera of this price and quality belongs). I'm hoping someone has a suggestion of where to put my new 5231 starlight. I tried holding it in a couple spots around the top of the man door but it would either be pointing straight at the ground the entire time in order to get someone standing at the door, or just kind of pointing off in the middle of nowhere. I'll admit I was hoping it would get a 90 degree pie slice of straight down the driveway and straight along the front of the barn while also getting the face of anybody kicking in the man door, but I'm not sure that's going to be possible. I'm almost thinking that I might need 2 or 3 of these cameras to get everything or even maybe a PTZ...

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yea I've played around with that a bit... With these cameras it wants the subject to be no more than 8ft away.

That shouldn't be an issue if I can figure out a good spot near the door to put it.