Help - Unable to connect to Hikvision cameras after factory reset

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
This is such a rookie mistake, Im embarrassed to waste others time but I'm getting desperate. I have had a Hikvision and IP camera setup running for a couple of months with no issue.

I finally got fibre to my home and figured I would get my cameras accessible to the Internet. Problem is during the setup I had a problem remembering the admin password that I setup previously - after much guessing, I opted to do a factory reset. BIG MISTAKE! now with a brand new setup, I cannot get my NVR to connect to any of my cameras. I cant ping the camera's anymore. I know i am missing something basic but how do I reset the cameras to a specific IP Address and connect using the new admin password?

I recall when I first got the system setup, I had to go into HIKVision offices and they reset all the passwords for me - I have since mounted all my cameras and the NVR is racked in a secure location so I really want to avoid taking the whole system back in to Hikvision offices.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they will be on the default IP address
The network camera is set with the factory default IP address of “192.0.0.64”, the port of“8000”, the super user name of “admin” and the password of “12345”.
you can use the sadp tool or put your computer on the same subnet and connect directly to them to config the network.

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
My network operates on the 10.0.0.X range - I did a network setup with DHCP and my cameras were assigned 10.0.0.4 to 10.0.0.16.

If I setup my NVR from factory default without sitting on the network it assigns 192.168.254.X range.

Sorry - I am really a network amateur - Are you recommending I Should I setup my NVR on the 192.0.0.X

when I did a factory reset to default - are the cameras also reset or do they retain their settings?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you reset the NVR the cameras are unlikely to be reset.

leave your network alone, manually configure the network adapter on your computer to be in the same subnet as the default IP and see if you can get connected and re-configure it for your network.

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay - So I am well and truly snookered.

I have setup my NVR on the old network 192.168.0.X and on the new 10.0.0.X network and cannot connect to the cameras. On initial setup the cameras are assigned IP addresses by DHCP from 10.0.0.3 onwards. When I try connect to the camera's I get an error message saying the password is incorrect, I then try a host of different passwords but after the first attempt the error message changes to the network cannot be found.
Is there anyway to get the IP addresses and Passwords reset on these cameras?

If I try and connect to the cameras using the SADP tool - It does not even pick up the devices in the online devices section.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I try connect to the camera's I get an error message saying the password is incorrect, I then try a host of different passwords but after the first attempt the error message changes to the network cannot be found.
You get locked out after trying a few bad passwords. You can wait the device to unlock after a while (30-60 minutes?), or just power off and on again. This is to protect from brute force attacks.

Did you reset to defaults your NVR? How did you do it without knowing the admin password? Does your NVR have POE ports? You have not even said what NVR and cameras you have. If you do have a NVR with POE ports, even if you have reset de defaults your NVR, the cameras still have the same admin password the NVR had (which, if I understand correctly, you do not remember).

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
You get locked out after trying a few bad passwords. You can wait the device to unlock after a while (30-60 minutes?), or just power off and on again. This is to protect from brute force attacks.

Did you reset to defaults your NVR? How did you do it without knowing the admin password? Does your NVR have POE ports? You have not even said what NVR and cameras you have. If you do have a NVR with POE ports, even if you have reset de defaults your NVR, the cameras still have the same admin password the NVR had (which, if I understand correctly, you do not remember).
I have:

Camera - Hikvision DS2032
NVR – Hikvision DS7732NI-E4/16P

So yes POE.

I reset to factory default on the NVR (I didnt need the password because I could log into the machine with the pattern login) - So I am assuming the cameras are still on the old IP network 192.168.0.X with the old password which I dont remember. Now I have setup a new 10.0.0.2 network and cannot see the cameras at all.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your cameras on the POE switch are not on your local network. If you want to access them directly you should connect a computer to one of the POE ports on the back. If you never changed it, NVR's internal network (the cameras) should be on the 192.168.254.X subnet, and if you connect your computer with DHCP enbaled on a POE switch you will get an address on that network too.

When a brand new camera gets connected to the POE port, the NVR activates and configures the camera; it gives them the admin password it has. So yes, your cameras all have the password your NVR had previously. You do not have a brand new setup, you have only reset the NVR, not the cameras.

Suburban28

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your cameras on the POE switch are not on your local network. If you want to access them directly you should connect a computer to one of the POE ports on the back. If you never changed it, NVR's internal network (the cameras) should be on the 192.168.254.X subnet, and if you connect your computer with DHCP enbaled on a POE switch you will get an address on that network too.

When a brand new camera gets connected to the POE port, the NVR activates and configures the camera; it gives them the admin password it has. So yes, your cameras all have the password your NVR had previously. You do not have a brand new setup, you have only reset the NVR, not the cameras.
So if I plug my MacBook into a POE on the back of my NVR I would be able to see the NVR and cameras on the network? I'm a noob and what you said about the cameras being assigned an address is exactly where I currently am with my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have solved the issue - it seems so obvious now but it was the last thing I thought to try. So for others who have an issue when doing a factory restore on their NVR and then not being able to connect to their cameras because the network has changed, the solution is:

1) Unplug all cameras from the NVR.
2) Do the factory reset so the NVR is configured with DHCP onto the new network.
3) As you plug each camera in, hold the reset button for approx 10 seconds. This resets camera (obviously) which then puts the camera on the correct network and inherits the new admin password.

Note to self - store all the passwords in some secure place!

Thanks to all that assisted.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I have solved the issue - it seems so obvious now but it was the last thing I thought to try. So for others who have an issue when doing a factory restore on their NVR and then not being able to connect to their cameras because the network has changed, the solution is:

2) Do the factory reset so the NVR is configured with DHCP onto the new network.
3) As you plug each camera in, hold the reset button for approx 10 seconds. This resets camera (obviously) which then puts the camera on the correct network and inherits the new admin password.

Good job! You could have also edited on the NVR your IP cameras and input the right password... if you had known it, of course :)
It didn't have anything to do with the network, but with the password; NVR had different password (the new one) than the cameras (the old password you had forgotten).
Do not forget the new password!

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
Good job! You could have also edited on the NVR your IP cameras and input the right password... if you had known it, of course :)
It didn't have anything to do with the network, but with the password; NVR had different password (the new one) than the cameras (the old password you had forgotten).
Do not forget the new password!
correct - it is about the password and not the network...

Alfie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got the exact same issue as hawk has posted. I reset my NVR yesterday using the pattern as i forgot my main password.

Hawk mentioned he held the reset button, but all my cameras are mounted high up and this is not an option for me.

i've downloaded the SADP tool and can see the cameras, I tried to browse to the camera via the IP but that didn't work. Do i need to change my computer subnet first then try again?

Thanks

Reaction score

Thanks to all that assisted.
How about cameras that does not have reset buttons? I have the same problem too