Help using FTP to upload pix to Weather Underground

DouginHull

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new user of BI and to this forum. I have going in circles trying to resolve this error "FTP: 530 Login authentication failed" when testing the FTP upload to Weather Underground. I do operate several weather stations, so I am very familiar with WU requirements. I have reviewed previous posts and have not been able to resolve this problem. All help is really appreciated! Thank you.

Doug

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As you may know, the 2 main reasons for that error is using an incorrect username or password. I must assume you have triple checked both.

Have you recently tried using an FTP client like Filezilla with the same credentials to see if that works OK?

It may help if you would post a screenshot of your FTP config, such as:

BI_FTP.jpg

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here you go
That's the same screenshot you uploaded 10 minutes earlier. I'm not asking for your username or password, just hoping you could share to help someone else. If you were doing something wrong all along and prefer to keep it to yourself, that's OK, too.
I personally have NEVER made any misatkes.....:rolleyes:

DouginHull

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is the latest issue. I have spent the day going around in circles. Hopefully someone has the answer and can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is that image from when you click on the 'Test' button?

If so, the Wiki says you can only upload an image (like '.JPG'); the FTP 'Test' in Blue Iris uploads a text (.TXT) file named 'ftptest.txt' which is likely why the test fails.

Set up a camera to upload an image file every 10 minutes or so. The camera will employ those FTP settings to do so.
Go to 'camera properties', select the 'Post' tab, click on 'help' lower right for more info.

DouginHull

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for that information and that is the image from a test. I did not realize the the test is a .txt file. I have referred to the help info as well as other information on the web. As far as I can tell my information is correct based on screen shots of those who have been successful. I also requested help from WU - nothing yet. Finally, I should note that a jpeg is being generated every 60 seconds but not uploaded.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for that information and that is the image from a test. I did not realize the the test is a .txt file. I have referred to the help info as well as other information on the web. As far as I can tell my information is correct based on screen shots of those who have been successful. I also requested help from WU - nothing yet. Finally, I should note that a jpeg is being generated every 60 seconds but not uploaded.
OK, good info and success is on the horizon, hopefully.
Can you post a screenshot of the 'camera properties', 'Post' tab? BTW, there is no confidential info on it, that would be only on your FTP setup page.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Profile 1 is active. It's currently set to only upload when profile 2 is active.

DouginHull

n3wb
Reaction score
BI is new to me as of yesterday. I am not sure how to handle the profiles. Thanks for the heads up! I got some reading to do.

DouginHull

n3wb
Reaction score
Question to tangent - how did you determine that profile 2 needed to be active in order to upload?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to @tangent 's query. For test, I'd go to 'Post' tab and check all profile boxes at bottom.

Also: have you tried an FTP program (like free 'Filezilla') to FTP your image to WU using your credentials? If that doesn't work, then you can eliminate BI as being the problem, IMO.

Last edited:

DouginHull

n3wb
Reaction score
Have not tried that. I do have FileZilla loaded and have looked at it. You know there's just so much new material an old man can absorb in a couple of days ;-)