Help with BlueIris 5? Their support ignores my messages

jmipct

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
First time poster on here, but a long time lurker. I've always been able to fix my own problems, or have BlueIris support help me out - I've been a BlueIris customer for many years now (with a current license). But now I've run into a really big problem since upgrading to BI5 - and Blue Iris Support is ignoring all my emails to them! BI5 has lost every single clip it's made, and is no longer making any new clips, and I have no idea why. I replaced the blueiris storage with a blank 3TB drive, and it is behaving exactly the same.

I don't know why they are ignoring my emails - I have tried to be as civil as possible, but I haven't even gotten a simple "hey, we got your email, we're busy". Needless to say, I'm pretty unhappy with BlueIris right now, but mostly I'd like to get my security cameras running again!!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
First time poster on here, but a long time lurker. I've always been able to fix my own problems, or have BlueIris support help me out - I've been a BlueIris customer for many years now (with a current license). But now I've run into a really big problem since upgrading to BI5 - and Blue Iris Support is ignoring all my emails to them! BI5 has lost every single clip it's made, and is no longer making any new clips, and I have no idea why. I replaced the blueiris storage with a blank 3TB drive, and it is behaving exactly the same.

I don't know why they are ignoring my emails - I have tried to be as civil as possible, but I haven't even gotten a simple "hey, we got your email, we're busy". Needless to say, I'm pretty unhappy with BlueIris right now, but mostly I'd like to get my security cameras running again!!!
Support is likely overloaded because there are issues with the new release and folks like you didnt wait before upgrading. You should always wait several weeks before upgrading and ensure that there are no more complaints before doing so.
Blue iris is developed and supported by a single person. If you want personalized tech support there are lots of other vms that will gladly take your money in hefty upfront licencing as well as expensive paid support. What do you expect from 60 dollar software?
There could be many reasons for your symptoms. i have not seen this issue raised by others who have updated. This points to a misconfiguration on your part. First thing to do to check your clips and archiving settings. You need to check all your recording and zone settings to see why its not triggering. Then do a complete reinstall with the latest release. Make sure you use the full installer not the upgrade file

Last edited:

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

The developer is obviously overwhelmed with support requests and pushing out various fixes on an almost daily basis. I just finished wiping my entire BI4 and BI5 installs and starting over. That entailed deleting a lot of registry entries, one of which required setting advanced permissions to do. The reinstall seems to have addressed most, but not all issues.

I'm sure others here, including myself, would be willing to try to help you, but you would need to give some detailed information about your system (hardware, drives, operating system), screen prints of your clip storage and record settings, etc.

jmipct

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't realize this was a single person behind Blue Iris, that does make the slow response make more sense, still a "hey, we're busy" would go a long way :-/
As for what to expect for a $60/yr software...well, to be honest, I expect some kind of response. Yes, it's not a huge company, which I like, but still, not responding at all is really frustrating!

I did wind up wiping and reinstalling, and new clips are being stored now, but I'm really not happy about losing all my old saved clips!
And if everyone waited a couple weeks until all the bugs were ironed out, we'd be in the same situation, just a couple weeks later :) (and fwiw, I did wait almost two weeks before upgrading :) )
And again, I don't see any evidence of work being done to fix this problem - frustrating. The setup I had with version 4 has been working great for years, and I really didn't think it would break so badly with 5.
I had hoped another lurker might've seen this problem too and had an easy fix, but I didn't want to wait any longer and not have a security system. :-/

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't realize this was a single person behind Blue Iris, that does make the slow response make more sense, still a "hey, we're busy" would go a long way :-/
As for what to expect for a $60/yr software...well, to be honest, I expect some kind of response. Yes, it's not a huge company, which I like, but still, not responding at all is really frustrating!

I did wind up wiping and reinstalling, and new clips are being stored now, but I'm really not happy about losing all my old saved clips!
And if everyone waited a couple weeks until all the bugs were ironed out, we'd be in the same situation, just a couple weeks later :) (and fwiw, I did wait almost two weeks before upgrading :) )
And again, I don't see any evidence of work being done to fix this problem - frustrating. The setup I had with version 4 has been working great for years, and I really didn't think it would break so badly with 5.
I had hoped another lurker might've seen this problem too and had an easy fix, but I didn't want to wait any longer and not have a security system. :-/
There are always folks like you with OCD that the rest of us rely on.
If you are not happy there are lots of other options.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you know where your clips were stored BEFORE the upgrade? They were probably in "E:\BlueIris\New" (put in your drive letter) or the like and are still there; BI5 wasn't installed at the time those clips were created so no thumbnail image is available to be displayed in the Clip Viewer.

Last edited:

Cor K Dikland

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you by any chance have the option "Settings/Startup/Run as a Windows Service" enabled? The minute I check this option (& reboot) all recording stops and the Status log shows the error "Disk not ready".