Help with camera choice

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Over the past few weeks I've been learning a lot about camera options and equipment. Once I decide on going with either an NVR or PC with software, i'm planning on a 25x zoom turret camera to view various bird feeders and houses on my property. (And to help with an overall security program. )

Thinking I would always use it somewhere, I thought I would pick up a sub $200 vari-focal cam and see what kind of results I could get from it.

The camera I picked up from Andy was a DH-IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS .

It's a 3.7~11mm motorized lens My initial thought was to mount it at about 8 feet away. Being a varifocal, I was hoping when zoomed in I could focus on a relatively small fov. (2 to 3 feet). Not with this camera. When zoomed in all the way, I would have to be about 3 feet away from the subject.

I'm looking for a camera that has a field of view of approximately 2-3 feet at a distance of about 16 feet. Is there an easy way to calculate this? I've played around with some online fov calculators and I've not been able to grasp the concept of lens size/type vs. fov.

Any advice or suggestion for an appropriate camera would be much appreciated!

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like that tool will, for any designated camera, allow you to view its field of view. What I would need is a tool that allows me to input the distance and fov desired and then could point me to the best camera?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The tool is good, but not that good. :D

Check out the 5231 Z12 turret. The 12x zoom lens goes from 5.4mm - 64mm.

Using the IPVM calculator it *looks* like at a distance of 16ft if you zoom it almost all the way in it'll hit a width of 3ft... zoom a little more and goes towards 2ft.

The online tool has the old version of the camera loaded (Z12) and the current version (Z12E). Unfortunately they don't have the Z12E in their system right so it isn't "zoomable" on the tool. I used the old version in the tool to get the results below. The focal length of both the old and current version are the same so that should still be accurate. But I'd def. get multiple opinions on if this might work.

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 6.26.56 PM.png

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for your input. Sure looks like that would fit the need!

Can anyone confirm this before I try and purchase one?