Reaction score
Here are my PC specs:
Windows 10
Intel i7-6700k
BI Version 5 (latest)
C: drive is a SSD with BI log and db folders
D: drive is a WD Purple 6 TB
E: drive is a WD Purple 2 TB

I have 14 cameras, 10 of which continuously write to a local hard drive (E:). Data flow goes like this:

E: => D: => NAS => delete

I have been fighting this problem for a while now. It seems to have gotten worse lately however. What will happen is when the D: drive is moving data to my NAS, the E: drive WILL NOT be able to write data. To Blue Iris, it almost seems to be inaccessable. During this time, I can see 60 to 70 megabits worth of data come from my camera network into my PC, and none of it gets written to the E: during the time the D: is offloading files to my NAS. If I have my data flow go like this:

E: => NAS => delete

Basically removing the D: from the picture, everything will work great forever. I just hate to not use a 6 TB drive for storage, but it does seem to cause problems.

Anyone ever have this happen before? I am in the process of offloading all my BI clips from my D: so I can run some deep WD diagnostic scans on it...perhaps it's failing?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stop moving data all over the place. Set some cameras to record to D. And other cameras to E, balance the camera load. Then move the data from D and E to the NAS.

Make sure the file size is less than 3 GB.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Last edited:

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can try that, but I am pretty sure at some point I had some going to one drive and some to another and still experienced this issue.

Why less than 3 GB? That's the first I have heard of that. Mine are typically between 6 and 10 GB a piece.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The bigger the file the harder it is to move. Any transfer error will cause a major load on the retry. The disk head is bouncing all over the place to read it.
Get some software and analyze number of fragments in a 10 GB file, you will find out it is massive.

Do you have errors in the windows event log.
Do you have errors on the disk use the disk manufacture SMART test program.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I keep all my clips to 1gb or less, this way when tidying up it can delete the required number of 1gb clips as opposed to have to dump a single 6gb clip.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The bigger the file the harder it is to move. Any transfer error will cause a major load on the retry. The disk head is bouncing all over the place to read it.
Get some software and analyze number of fragments in a 10 GB file, you will find out it is massive.

Do you have errors in the windows event log.
Do you have errors on the disk use the disk manufacture SMART test program.
I lowered the size down to 3 GB so I will see if that helps at all.

No errors in the event log.

I'm in the process of moving files off of my D: drive so I can run some utilities on it.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Moved all of my files off of my D: drive and ran a Western Digital extended scan that came back fine. Now I have moved some of my cameras to record to the D: drive and some to record to the E: drive.

I'm convinced this is some weird Blue Iris issue because I used the GUI to move all of my local D: drive files (3 or 4 TB worth) onto my NAS with exactly 0 problems. Problems seem to occur when the quota is reached on the D: drive and BI has to move them to the NAS in the background while recording live video to the E: drive.

We'll see what happens.