Help with Dahua 5442 night settings - share your settings?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had this set up pretty well at one point, but didn't save my config before messing with it again and now I can't get it back to the good state. Wondering if you guys can share your settings for night time. The camera is looking at somewhere that relies on moonlight and street lighting, no IR light. For the life of me, I can't find the color night time mode. It's in black at white at night, and the good state I had it in had color.

Is there a guide for these settings I'm missing?

1619677864145.png
1619677875342.png
1619677890233.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go down to the Day & Night option and change it from auto to color for your night profile.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Go down to the Day & Night option and change it from auto to color for your night profile.
That's why I was having a hard time finding it then. The mode under Night is gray out, I can't change it.
1619702726370.png

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What exact model is this?
Xx5442xx-xx?
What firmware are you running?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a IPC-T5442TM-AS, firmware V2.800.0000000.10.R, Build Date: 2019-11-18 .

At one point I was able to change that switch the night time color vs black and white mode. I've been playing with it for a bit since wittaj pointed it out, but haven't found a way to make that option available.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
That's why I was having a hard time finding it then. The mode under Night is gray out, I can't change it.
View attachment 88151
If the profile is set to Day/Night, these settings settings are greyed out. Go to Camera/Conditions/Profile Management and change the profile to anything but "Day/Night" and these settings should be editable again. It seems totally backwards that Dahua would set it up like this, but this is how it must be done.

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
If I was you I would default the camera back to factory default as the settings that you have posted look way off to me. Someone else's settings will not be any use to you because of location and lighting conditions.
Default is a good starting point and tweak it from there is my advise with small increments to each setting will usually reflect another setting.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I was you I would default the camera back to factory default as the settings that you have posted look way off to me. Someone else's settings will not be any use to you because of location and lighting conditions.
Default is a good starting point and tweak it from there is my advise with small increments to each setting will usually reflect another setting.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. When I'm trying to improve night vision, I'm mostly playing with picture, exposure, and backlight, and then using the manual exposure to play with shutter and gain. I'm wondering if there's some more guided way to do it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Light is certainly a much needed friend to these types of cameras! Auto/default settings rarely produce the best results, especially at night.

You are focused on a static image with no motion - you need to be more concerned about a great capture with motion. Blur and ghosting with motion results in unusable video for the police other than to say WHAT time something happened rather than a clean picture of WHO did it.

If you are on auto/default or adjusting based on a static image, in most situations at night it will produce a nice bright picture and great picture when nothing is moving, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting.

In my opinion, shutter and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And when if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible. HLC at 50, unless for LPR, will certainly degrade the image with motion.

Rubke

n3wb
Reaction score
Light is certainly a much needed friend to these types of cameras! Auto/default settings rarely produce the best results, especially at night.

You are focused on a static image with no motion - you need to be more concerned about a great capture with motion. Blur and ghosting with motion results in unusable video for the police other than to say WHAT time something happened rather than a clean picture of WHO did it.

If you are on auto/default or adjusting based on a static image, in most situations at night it will produce a nice bright picture and great picture when nothing is moving, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting.

In my opinion, shutter and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And when if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible. HLC at 50, unless for LPR, will certainly degrade the image with motion.
How/when would I notice the gain being too high? I own a 5442, have now set it to 70 and don't really see much bad effects... What would be the maximum gain for a 5442?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Every camera and field of view is different, Some cameras can go to 80 gain and others not much past 60.

Gain amplifies noise and other artifacts that contribute to the ghosting and noise with motion. Do not rely on a static image appearance - motion is what we need. If you have enough light it won't matter as much.

As long as motion looks good to you, then all is good.

Rubke

n3wb
Reaction score
I've read that after setting the gain you should set the NR. As this (obviously) reduces noise and thus possibly also reduces the effects of a gain which is too high, how do you set both parameters right? Do you first set the gain with a fixed NR, and secondly the NR?

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

This has been extremely helpful and I have been fine tuning things for my 5442's at night. Do you have any suggestions for daytime settings? For some reason I find my picture looks better color wise with LPR on vs off during the day but you're saying to avoid using it if possible so perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Also I am running a SD49225SA for overall backyard view (I have a deep 2+ acre lot).

I have potlights in my soffits closest one to this camera is about 4-5 feet away.

I have been playing around with b & w with smartIR and forcing color. The problem with forcing color is I have to up the gain to 70 for anything decent... But with b & w it gets washed out from car headlights/taillights... What would you suggest in this instance?

I can PM you pictures if needed let me know and thank you for your time and Insight

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This has been extremely helpful and I have been fine tuning things for my 5442's at night. Do you have any suggestions for daytime settings? For some reason I find my picture looks better color wise with LPR on vs off during the day but you're saying to avoid using it if possible so perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Also I am running a SD49225SA for overall backyard view (I have a deep 2+ acre lot).

I have potlights in my soffits closest one to this camera is about 4-5 feet away.

I have been playing around with b & w with smartIR and forcing color. The problem with forcing color is I have to up the gain to 70 for anything decent... But with b & w it gets washed out from car headlights/taillights... What would you suggest in this instance?

I can PM you pictures if needed let me know and thank you for your time and Insight
Do you mean backlight like WDR, BLC, etc. instead of LPR?

For daytime, it is basically the parameters in reverse. Most things like brightness, contrast, gamma, gain, etc. you can take below 50. I usually start with them at 35 and then adjust from there based on the field of view.

Some cameras can operate fine with a gain at 70 and others introduce too much noise or blur.

What shutter speed are you running that you are getting head/tail light washout?

Some field of views are a little problematic with head/tail lights. Sometimes a simple angle adjustment can mitigate it. Sometimes managing expectations and not trying to do too much with one field of view is needed. Sometimes you can get away with some HLC to mitigate the headlight bloom. But each field of view is different.

Feel free to DM some photos if you are uncomfortable posting them to the forum and I can see what suggestions to make after seeing your images.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you mean backlight like WDR, BLC, etc. instead of LPR?

For daytime, it is basically the parameters in reverse. Most things like brightness, contrast, gamma, gain, etc. you can take below 50. I usually start with them at 35 and then adjust from there based on the field of view.

Some cameras can operate fine with a gain at 70 and others introduce too much noise or blur.

What shutter speed are you running that you are getting head/tail light washout?

Some field of views are a little problematic with head/tail lights. Sometimes a simple angle adjustment can mitigate it. Sometimes managing expectations and not trying to do too much with one field of view is needed. Sometimes you can get away with some HLC to mitigate the headlight bloom. But each field of view is different.

Feel free to DM some photos if you are uncomfortable posting them to the forum and I can see what suggestions to make after seeing your images.
I meant not having those options on at all vs having LPR on during daytime.... with WDR etc. It looks over saturated and washed out... I will focus on your other suggestions for now...Very much appreciated thank you for the prompt response I will work on these suggestions and DM you some nighttime and daytime pictures at the same time tomorrow. Have a great day/evening :)