Help with HikVision NVR / HDD / Camera combo

karansaraf

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I've settled on buying two HikVision DS-2CD2342-WD-I 4mm cameras ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-Turrret-Camera-NETVIEW-DS-2CD2342WD-I/dp/B01AJ1TMOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1474476647&sr=8-3&keywords=hikvision+ds-2cd2342wd-i+4mm -- apparently UK models, not Chinese) as well as one indoor HikVision camera (model to be determined will need IR, but probably don't need more than 2-3MP resolution).

I was thinking about buying this NVR:

DS-7604NI-E1/4P ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/5048776607/ref=twister_B019DMM0CG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 - also apparently English model)

And maybe this HDD - WD Purple 2TB ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purple-Surveillance-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B00IMPO5MO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1474476815&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+purple+2tb )

I had a few questions:

-NVR description says incoming BW 25Mbps, outgoing 80Mbps. Is this going to be enough? Are all three cameras going to work together (motion detection mostly and occasional live view) whilst only sharing 25Mbps ??

- Also says this about video output
Video/Audio Output:HDMI/VGA output:1-ch, resolution:
1920 × 1080P /60Hz, 1600 × 1200 /60Hz, 1280 × 1024 /60Hz, 1280 × 720 /60Hz, 1024 × 768 /60Hz
Recording Resolution:5MP/3MP/1080P/UXGA/720P/VGA/4CIF/DCIF/2CIF/CIF/QCIF
Frame Rate:Main stream: 50 fps (P) / 60 fps (N)
Sub-stream: 50 fps (P) / 60 fps (N)
Audio Output:1-ch, RCA (Linear, 1kΩ)
Synchronous Playback:4-ch

Is this going to be appropriate for those cameras? I thought the cameras were 25fps? And I note that the 4MP cameras output more than 1920x1080 - does that mean this is incompatible since it seems to only support HD res?

If there are better NVRs in a similar price range please feel free to recommend. I am seeming to get confused with all the different letters in the models. Not sure what they mean and not sure what I'm supposed to be looking out for specifically.

- HDD - How much video is 2TB going to hold with two 4MP cameras and one 2-3MP camera recording motion detection?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
AV Output is the HDMI/VGA Connection, it will only drive up to a 1080p display.. the input camera resolution is irrelevant to that spec..

25Mbps is not alot, but it is only a 4ch.. that allows 6Mbit per channel, which is reasonable but not great.. 4MP Cameras can use 10Mbit pretty easy.

I suggest buying a NVR one size larger than you intend, if you intend on using a 4ch system buy an 8ch system.. if you intend on using an 8ch system buy a 16ch system, leaves you ample room to upgrade and expand.. alot of us here add cameras slowly as they become needed, Ive got 8 cameras on a 16ch NVR, I would hate to be in a situation now where I had to buy a new NVR to add any more cams.

There are online disk calculators for you to use, right now the sweet spot on price is not the 2TB disks.. 2TB = $40/tb, 3TB = $35/tb, 4TB = $35/tb, 5TB = $44/tb, 6TB = $42/tb

Recording motion detection is not a great idea, I record 24/7/365 my 8cams on 10TB and only use motion to flag the timeline.. I get ~3 week archive and Only missed something important once, and thats when I was doing network maintenance as some idiot tried to steal my mail.. damn Murphy.

Last edited by a moderator:

karansaraf

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that point about the output. Just to further clarify, I'm just going to be connecting the NVR to my router, and NOT to a display. That's fine, right? I can just connect via the web to the NVR whether at home or away to view the feed/stored video ??

One size higher NVR would be this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-DS-7608-NI-E2-Drive-Channel/dp/B00YU6W1C0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474478838&sr=8-2&keywords=hikvision+nvr+8+channel

50Mbps - do you think that would be enough?

Also do you think 2TB is enough to store a reasonable amount of video from two 4MP and one 3MP cam?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.stardot.com/bandwidth-and-storage-calculator

You might be able to get 2 weeks of continuous recording on that, but personally I would not bother with any HDD smaller than 4TB now days.. I didnt need 10Tb when I built this NVR, I didnt have as many cameras as I do now.. but after time I added more cameras and now I certainly need that 10TB.. so if you have plans on expanding, and it sounds like you do.. take into consideration future storage requirements also... as your daddy should have taught you: measure twice, cut once

A display may be required for the NVR to configure the network settings initially, but after that you can run them headless and just access via network.

karansaraf

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot.

I guess one other question - do I have to use a HikVision NVR at all? Or are there third party boxes out there that are well rated and compatible/tried and tested for HikVision cams?

Conversely, can I buy any camera from any manufacturer and use it with a HikVision NVR?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its best not to mix and match, if you want to do that then use BluIris..

eandrews19

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot.

I guess one other question - do I have to use a HikVision NVR at all? Or are there third party boxes out there that are well rated and compatible/tried and tested for HikVision cams?

Conversely, can I buy any camera from any manufacturer and use it with a HikVision NVR?
I had the HikVision NVR and I made my installation company come back and take it out (8 camera model). I had so many problems with it an could not get good support. I used the money I got back to build a pc and use blueIris. I am much happier now.

karansaraf

n3wb
Reaction score
If I was to build a computer, would I have to connect all of the HikVision cameras into a POE ethernet switch and then connect the switch to the computer? Then use BluIris to recognise the cameras?