Help with Motion Detection

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to setup motion detection on my driveway to try and minimize the number of false alerts due to bugs, but am having quite a bit of difficulty. Initially I tried using just the basic motion detection with 300 pixels minim object size, 15 contrast, and object detection set for 25 pixels of travel.

This works okay during the day, at night I get dozens of triggers due to bugs. Probably not a whole lot I can do about the bugs. I do have a problem though that I can walk halfway up the blue car before it even registers motion and get all the way to the green truck before it triggers. That's really far up the driveway, and may or may not help if someone is checking for unlocked doors (a problem in my area).

Anyways, I then tried to set up more advanced motion detection with zones, but I'm not getting any triggers at all. I've attached some screenshots of my settings, and one of the zones (i manually drew in the zones B, C, and D over the Zone A image as I don't know how to make it show all zones at once. Under this setup, I set everything to the minimums for minimum object size and contrast and I turned off the object travel.

Driveway.20200706_203634196.jpg

Can anyone provide some advice on what I've got set wrong?

Cameras are 4MP mainstream, with a D1 sub stream. Is motion detection based off the D1 substream? If so, 100 pixels which is the minimum it allows me to enter is quite a lot of the frame. Should I bump this up a lot higher, like to 1080p or even not use substreams at all?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are running substreams, then the motion detection will be based on that. Substreams are great if you need it to reduce CPU usage, but that comes down to personal preference.

Make time of 0.3 seconds doesn't seem like a lot, but it can be. I would knock it down more.

Bugs at night with IR light will always be a problem. Either add more light so it stays in color or add IR off to the side.

I would suggest not having so many zones or make them way smaller. With the FOV you have, BI probably at night is having difficulty seeing the upper edges of the image and making it out before it gets into B or D.

I would make one sliver of a line and call in Zone B and then in the object crosses zone simple put down B.

Uncheck the not required for retriggers.

1594094897985.png

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've done quite a bit more testing, and yes, I've come to the conclusion that sub streams just aren't that viable for anything that isn't up close. The minimum pixel size in BI is just way too high. D1 is the max resolution for sub streams on my cameras, so I can't compromise with 720p or 1080p.

With the six 4MP cameras I have, I can only comfortably run three at full resolution before CPU load goes up to 50% (75% if remote viewing). It's an i5-6500 set to use Quick Sync.

That's a bit disappointing, but it is what it is.

I did also confirm that the simple algorithm works much better than edge.

Thanks for your advice!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I only have 2Mp cams and run my substreams at 720.

What cams do you have, on my Dahua 720 is only available on substream 2, 1 only has D1 so might be worth a look at all the option.

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They are Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS.

Substream 1 has a max of D1 @ 30 fps.
Substream 2 can go up to 1080p, but only at 1 fps. With 720p it's 4 fps. That seems way too low to be useful?

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It can at lower resolutions, spec sheet is very misleading.

I could try lowering the fps on the main stream, see if that opens up higher frame rates on the substreams.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I have my 5231-ze set at 720p 10fps

I remember reading here that 5fps is the lowest frame rate that the author of BI suggested.

Brazeal

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 5 5442s, and I turn off all of the motion settings except IVS and SMD filtering for humans and vehicles. I don't use substream 1 and have substream 2 set at 720P at 15fps. I have an I7-9700 and see 5-10% CPU in UI3 for six 4MP cams. The only cam that I get false alarms due to bugs is the one Amcrest cam that does not have the SMD filtering for humans and vehicles.

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How did you get IVS working in BI? I've tried a little selecting the digital input from camera option, but couldn't get it to work so I moved onto just using BI's settings. Google searches led me to believe that Dahua IVS doesn't work in BI but I'm guessing that's changed.

Also, what is your mainstream set at? I had left it at the default 30 fps, but will bump it down to probably 20 so I can get the substreams at a higher rate.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Mainstream and substream should match in terms of frames per second and iframes.
I run my main streams at 15 but my subs at 10 fps, I also seem to recall some running the subs at only 5 fps. Any idea what issues there might be with running them at different fps? I also seem to recall a poster quoting Kens reply not to go below 5 fps for the substreams.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw a post, over in the substream thread I think it was anyway, saying that Ken recommends having them match. I've been running them matched since I started with substreams, before I read that post, and figure it can't hurt.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How did you get IVS working in BI? I've tried a little selecting the digital input from camera option, but couldn't get it to work so I moved onto just using BI's settings. Google searches led me to believe that Dahua IVS doesn't work in BI but I'm guessing that's changed.

Also, what is your mainstream set at? I had left it at the default 30 fps, but will bump it down to probably 20 so I can get the substreams at a higher rate.
Its worked for several years. Read the BI builtin help file.
Keep in mind that the current versions of BI are very much in Beta status. Use at your own risk.

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I've still had zero luck on getting IVS to work with BI.

1) On the video settings I'm using the following stream, and have the "Get ONVIF Trigger Events" option checked. I have Media Profile set to "MediaProfile000"
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

2) On the camera's trigger settings I have "Camera's digital input or motion alarm" option selected

I've used ONVIF Device Manager to confirm that events are being triggered, but BI does not trigger and every few seconds gives an "Events: subscription XXXXXXXXX" error in the status message log. The XXXXXXXX number hasn't been consistent between tries of mine to get this working. The manual of course doesn't give any indication what that means.

I'm at a loss, I actually raised this question about IVS and BI in a separate thread. So far, no one has been able to tell me how to get it to work. Maybe it just doesn't work with this specific camera model? I don't know.

Brazeal

n3wb
Reaction score
Double check on your camera settings that you have motion detection enable checked under video detection. Then under Smart Plan, you have only IVS selected. Then under the IVS section, set your tripwires. My 5442 camera firmware is V2.800.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2020-05-29. My BI is V5 on the last stable build. Under the camera settings in BI, under trigger tab, check "camera's digital input or motion alarm". Under video configuration, I have what you posted above along with "Get ONVIF Trigger Events". I let BI autodetect camera settings as Generic/ONVIF. It works on each of my 5 5542s. If that still doesn't work, you might want to try a BI update or contact BI support to follow up on that subscription error.

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had an older firmware, dating from November. I found the one you have and installed it. I noticed it added a "Smart Motion Detection" option.

Under event settings, I have the following:
  • Smart Motion Detection
    • Enabled
    • Effective Object: Human
    • Sensitivity: Medium
  • Smart Plan
    • IVS is selected orange
    • All other options are grey
  • IVS
    • One tripwire rule has been created, and its checkbox is selected
    • Period: Green at all times, all days
    • Direction: A<-->B
    • Object Filter is not selected
    • Record is selected with a 10s delay (note that no SD card is installed)
    • Send Email is not selected
    • Snapshot is selected
    • Target Filter: Max size 8191x8191, min size 0x0
    • Pixel Counter: 0x0
Even with the new firmware, Blue Iris is still giving the subscription errors and does not trigger. :( Here is a screenshot showing ONVIF Device Manager that shows events are in fact being triggered by the camera.

onvif_devicemanager.png

I really appreciate your help in trying to get this figured out!

I will try to contact BlueIris support, but from several posts it sounds like they almost never respond.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had an older firmware, dating from November. I found the one you have and installed it. I noticed it added a "Smart Motion Detection" option.

Under event settings, I have the following:
  • Smart Motion Detection
    • Enabled
    • Effective Object: Human
    • Sensitivity: Medium
  • Smart Plan
    • IVS is selected orange
    • All other options are grey
  • IVS
    • One tripwire rule has been created, and its checkbox is selected
    • Period: Green at all times, all days
    • Direction: A<-->B
    • Object Filter is not selected
    • Record is selected with a 10s delay (note that no SD card is installed)
    • Send Email is not selected
    • Snapshot is selected
    • Target Filter: Max size 8191x8191, min size 0x0
    • Pixel Counter: 0x0
Even with the new firmware, Blue Iris is still giving the subscription errors and does not trigger. :( Here is a screenshot showing ONVIF Device Manager that shows events are in fact being triggered by the camera.

View attachment 66300

I really appreciate your help in trying to get this figured out!

I will try to contact BlueIris support, but from several posts it sounds like they almost never respond.
Turn off Smart Motion detection, you either use it, OR IVS, not both.
Uncheck Record and Snapshot. You have no SD card so there is no place for them to record to.

If you send an email as per the BI manual, and not use a Private email domain. He will respond.
Mention the subscription errors to him, as this has existed for for some time. But ONVIF triggers continues to work fine for me and others.

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I turned off SMD, and turned off record/snapshot, no change. Wasn't expecting it to as SMD didn't even exist in the previous firmware.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I do appreciate it!