Help with network set up

Melinda

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, sorry to be one of those annoying newbies! I have Googled and searched etc, but everything leads me to results where the camera's can be seen on the network and mine cannot :-(

Hardware:
NVR:
Hikvision 7608N1-12/8P
Switch:TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE 8-port POE+ Gigabit Switch for all 8 Por
Router: Netgear Nighthawk R800
Cameras: 4 x Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWDI

Default gateway is 192.168.1.1
All devices on the network have now had an IP reserved so there is no IP conflict

When the cameras are plugged in I can see them in 'Live View' locally on the NVR but they do not appear as connected to the network as 'Active' see photo.
I have been able to get a camera to appear on the network once when the switch was plugged directly into the router, & the camera into the switch, however the NVR would not 'add' it because there were already 8 designated camera positions and not enough camera ports, Google told me it cant add it because it needs to be added via the NVR first, fair enough...if I could get the NVR to recognise it.
I've factory re-set the NVR a number of times
I've checked the subnet mask and default gateway are correct on the NVR and assigned it a designated IP in thr router, I can see the NVR on the network no problem.
I've tried adding the camera's using SADP, I can see them in SADP, but can't add them in IVMS (well I can add but they wont connect. I've tried changing the camera's default gateway etc using SADP (which is how i got the one connected to the switch to work) but it just wont connect on the NVR, comes up with error Not connected to the network.
I've tried using DHCP for the NVR and camera's but no joy.
The router is Upnp enabled and I can see the NVR IP listed in the router Upnp and have enabled the NVR to also be Upnp.
I an see the NVR using FING, and could see the camera I once had connected to the network also on Fing.
I need the NVR to pick up the camera's as Active on the network
I know I have a simple IP setting wrong somewhere but just not sure where? Please see photos of some configs I have tried. (I know the last number of the IP's dont all match in the images, I've tried various ones - sorry for any confusion).
I've read that the NVR NIC doesn't matter but maybe it does?
I've checked Firmware is up to date etc on the router and the NVR

Attachments

Last edited:

firefox1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont get what your Network is ?? At the Second Picture it shows 192.0.0.X and at your last Picture 192.168.1.X.
So what is your local Network ?? 192.0.0.X or 192.168.1.X ??
What IP your Netgear Router have ??

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
192.0.0.x is what NVR's DHCP would give.

Addresses of all cams and nvrs should be within a same subnet.

In this case: 192.168.1.x

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

firefox1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Check if you have a free Range. Like 192.168.1.220 - 192.168.1.250 (30 Address are free)
Change the NVR's DHCP that he give out IP in this Range.
Your Router give out IP's via DHCP ?

Yes right everything should be in the same Subnet.

Melinda

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies, really appreciate it. To answer the questions, it doesn't seem to matter whether I change the camera's in the NVR to match the router default of 192.168.1.XX, or leave the NVR default of 192.0.0.X. the only thing changing the default does is remove the camera from Live view on the NVR.
The router has a 250 range, I have existing (working) connections on a range of these up to 248 etc .
Yes the router gives out IP's via DHCP, but when I enable DHCP on the NVR it gives a different IP that is like 192.224.1.X or something, which doesnt seem to be compatible either, but I cant see how it could be if it's not on the same default gateway. Is it time to bite the bullet and pay someone to come out?

Attachments

Melinda

n3wb
Reaction score
The way that I have been mostly trying to add the camera's is plugging them into the NVR, then clicking edit when they appear in the Camera Management, changing the IP to something on the default gateway and leaving the protocol section as default.

Attachments

firefox1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Forget the WAN Settings. You need bring everything to 192.168.1.X and be sure you have running only 1 DHCP.

Melinda

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks firefox1970 for sticking with me, I really appreciate it. I think I need to change the Internal NIC IPv4 address from the NVR default? I tried 192.168.255.1 but that didn't seem to work so I've re-set factory default settings again. The only thing I have changed is the default gateway. What should I make the internal NIC address? or do i really just leave it? Also the pictures show what I think the camera settings should be with the 192.168.1. X. For some reason after one of the many factory re-sets SADP seems stuck on 2 x NVR addresses, I havent been adding the 192.168.2.1 to the ivms and it cant be seen on the router network so I dont think its relevant? I''ve both done a restore default settings and also a restore factory settings but can't seem to make it go away in SADP.

Attachments

Melinda

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh also, just to confirm, the IP config on my PC is:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.9(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, 6 July 2017 10:20:59 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, 8 July 2017 2:45:00 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

firefox1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So for you NVR and Camera must be similar like:
192.168.1.XXX
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1