Help with new camera system

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums. I'm tech savvy (work in IT) but new to camera systems. I'm currently researching cameras for a project at a relatives house. I need a system capable of 9-10 cameras. After doing research I've come up with the below:

Blue Iris Server running on an Optiplex 3046, i5-6500 processor, 8gb RAM, 250GB SSD, 4TB storage
8 - DS-2CD2142FWD-I cameras with US, upgradeable firmware (Any comments on these would be welcome.)
24 port Cisco 3560 POE switch

I would still like to find a POE camera model that will provide excellent night vision with the capability of facial and license plate recognition. I'm in the mid range on price so nothing crazy expensive please!

My only other concern is that she has a DSL connection with 6Mb Download & 1 Mb Upload speeds. She has a separate home and would like to have the ability to monitor these remotely. I can setup the port forwarding etc. but need to know if there will be much work involved to maintain Blue Iris or if it would be easier to go with an NVR or another system since she doesn't have any technical skills and I will get the calls. I'm thinking 1Mbps upload will be just enough to view the cameras decently away from home but would like your opinions.

Thanks in advance!!!
Mike

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums. I'm tech savvy (work in IT) but new to camera systems. I'm currently researching cameras for a project at a relatives house. I need a system capable of 9-10 cameras. After doing research I've come up with the below:

Blue Iris Server running on an Optiplex 3046, i5-6500 processor, 8gb RAM, 250GB SSD, 4TB storage
8 - DS-2CD2142FWD-I cameras with US, upgradeable firmware (Any comments on these would be welcome.)
24 port Cisco 3560 POE switch

I would still like to find a POE camera model that will provide excellent night vision with the capability of facial and license plate recognition. I'm in the mid range on price so nothing crazy expensive please!

My only other concern is that she has a DSL connection with 6Mb Download & 1 Mb Upload speeds. She has a separate home and would like to have the ability to monitor these remotely. I can setup the port forwarding etc. but need to know if there will be much work involved to maintain Blue Iris or if it would be easier to go with an NVR or another system since she doesn't have any technical skills and I will get the calls. I'm thinking 1Mbps upload will be just enough to view the cameras decently away from home but would like your opinions.

Thanks in advance!!!
Mike
Poor choice on the cameras they will suffer in low light and at night...there are much better low light cameras by hikvision or dahua see threads...also avoid domes, look at turret form factors.
you need to dedicate a camera to LPR see LPR section of this forum
Lots of these old large poe switches are power hogs and also very loud.
There is no more work required to maintain BI than it would an NVR.
You can adjust the webserver profile to a low bandwidth limit.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The cameras haven’t shipped yet. Could you give me a couple suggestions of models to look at? Thanks