Help with New Gmail Oauth2.0

barrybgb

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for any brand, model PTZ that can use the new Oauth2 authentication for email alerts.
Can someone help me?

I have a Trendnet IP8621C PTZ indoor desktop camera I have been using for years and get email alerts all the time but now I do not because of Gmail's Oauth2 requirement.
Is there a way to still use this camera or should I look for another brand.
I have sent emails to Trendnet to see if they have a firmware update to add the Oauth2 but they have not responded.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL camera firmware doesn't move that fast....

It is a simple fix. Go into gmail and create an app password and use that password instead in the camera and you can keep using your device.....

barrybgb

n3wb
Reaction score

It is a simple fix. Go into gmail and create an app password and use that password instead in the camera and you can keep using your device.....
Thanks for the info.

Ok, that sounds easy enough but not sure how to do that. I use Thunderbird to manage my gmail account and don't see how to do that.

barrybgb

n3wb
Reaction score

Ok, that sounds easy enough but not sure how to do that. I use Thunderbird to manage my gmail account and setup my
Thanks for the info.

Ok, that sounds easy enough but not sure how to do that. I use Thunderbird to manage my gmail account and don't see how to do that.

barrybgb

n3wb
Reaction score
I will do some more research in setting app password in thunderbird.
Saw a couple of links so they may help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is for the Dahua NVR but the Gmail steps are the same regardless

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To clarify some points for you:

Thunderbird is an email client and is a program (app) installed on your PC that logs into the Gmail server to send /receive email. It must be configured with the correct settings that work with Gmail.

Gmail is a service provide by Google that can be accessed either using an e-mail client such as Thunderbird or Outlook or by using a browser such as Edge, Firefox or Chrome and logging into the web-based version of Gmail.

If you have Gmail then you have a Google Account. Log into the web-based version of Gmail with a browser, not Thunderbird, go to settings and do what @wittaj suggested. Once you've created that new password in Gmail then go into Thunderbird's settings and put in there as well then save your settings. Test your ability to send/receive email with Thunderbird.

If that works OK then log into your IP cam's webGUI (it's embedded web interface) by opening a browser on your PC to the cam's IP address, go into its settings, put in the new password and save.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

barrybgb

n3wb
Reaction score

Ok, that sounds easy enough but not sure how to do that. I use Thunderbird to manage my gmail account and setup my
To clarify some points for you:

Thunderbird is an email client and is a program (app) installed on your PC that logs into the Gmail server to send /receive email. It must be configured with the correct settings that work with Gmail.

Gmail is a service provide by Google that can be accessed either using an e-mail client such as Thunderbird or Outlook or by using a browser such as Edge, Firefox or Chrome and logging into the web-based version of Gmail.

If you have Gmail then you have a Google Account. Log into the web-based version of Gmail with a browser, not Thunderbird, go to settings and do what @wittaj suggested. Once you've created that new password in Gmail then go into Thunderbird's settings and put in there as well then save your settings. Test your ability to send/receive email with Thunderbird.

If that works OK then log into your IP cam's webGUI (it's embedded web interface) by opening a browser on your PC to the cam's IP address, go into its settings, put in the new password and save.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

Thanks for the welcome and thanks to both of you
I did get the thing working following your advice.
I hate using this 2 step for my personal email like I have to do with my company site.

Thanks again,

Barry