Help with placement / Dahua Starlight 5231 or SD49225T-HN PTZ?

Caveman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey

Id really like some advice as to how to cover my driveway as best as possible.
Ive marked 3 spots where I can easily get an Ethernet cable run through the wall. Which placement is best if I wanna cover the window, and preferably entire driveway?

Should I go for a smaller turret 5231 or does a PTZ like the SD49225T-HN make more sense?
I can stretch Budget to $350 dollars if needed. I have a Cisco PoE switch running a Hikvision 2142 4MP cam covering the garden, see Attached photo. Im gonna run BlueIris on a desktop computer With QuickSync support.IMG_1511.JPG IMG_1515.JPG Skjermbilde.JPG

Any advice is much appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation with my plans for my driveway. I'm going with the 5231 turrent under the eave. I'm planning on attaching it to the soffit and running the wire thru the attic.

I think you'd probably be better off buying two 5231s that one ptz. You'll get more coverage that way.

Caveman

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation with my plans for my driveway. I'm going with the 5231 turrent under the eave. I'm planning on attaching it to the soffit and running the wire thru the attic.

I think you'd probably be better off buying two 5231s that one ptz. You'll get more coverage that way.
Ok, but it would maybe be overkill to put another cam at spot 2/3 if I put a turret at spot 1. I have a Hikvision 2142 covering the side of the house where spot 3 is marked.

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
Probably. I'd say throw up the 5231 under the eave and see how things go. Instead of buying the more $$$ PTZ save that money. Have it set aside for another spot you'd like to monitor or another angle on the driveway :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Any of those spots seems fine to watch the driveway. The one thing to be careful about is not having any surfaces near the camera for IR to reflect strongly off of. Such as the satellite dish or the gutter or the eave.

Spot 3 isn't going to work for watching the window though.

Caveman

n3wb
Reaction score
Any of those spots seems fine to watch the driveway. The one thing to be careful about is not having any surfaces near the camera for IR to reflect strongly off of. Such as the satellite dish or the gutter or the eave.

Spot 3 isn't going to work for watching the window though.
Spot 2 With a wall mounted 5231 would work to cover the window? Or would using it without the wall Mount work?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need a special wall mount. Turrets will go straight onto the wall and rotate any way you like.

You may want to mount it on a junction box or something to get it away from the wall a little. It could help with IR reflection off the siding or that bit of corner that extends through the siding.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You don't need a special wall mount. Turrets will go straight onto the wall and rotate any way you like.

You may want to mount it on a junction box or something to get it away from the wall a little. It could help with IR reflection off the siding or that bit of corner that extends through the siding.
true enough so long as the RJ45 goes through the wall, otherwise the Jbox or mount is handy for hiding it.

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
My experience with the turrets is that if you can flush mount it without the junction box it looks much better and has a much higher WAF (wife acceptance factor).

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
This thread got me thinking about my upcoming install with the 5231 turrets. I'm planning on mounting to the underside of aluminum soffits.

Are those aluminum soffits gonna be strong enough to support that turrent? My guess is they will. I'm planning on just drilling a hole for the CAT6 and then mounting flush with no junction box. What kind of screws should i use? Self tapping sheet metal and just be careful not to strip the aluminum? I guess i could also thread bolts but that might be kind of tricky with my fat fingers.

I guess the other thing I could do is a get like a remodel electric box with 'wings' that are supposed to hold against drywall and then screw into that.

Let me know what you guys think - appreciate the feedback.