Help with Positioning of Cameras

Reaction score
Garage: There is no reason you have to mount above the lights. Below would work also. But BEFORE you start drilling, make a test rig (2x4 in a five gallon bucket with rocks/bricks/ whatever to hold up the 2x4) and put that camera on it. Place it at different heights and areas near your lights. Walk it at night and see how your face looks. Wear a ball cap. Cane you see the face? I do not worry about someone damaging a camera. If they do, chances are you will get a good video of them. Lower is better to get the face. If you have a varifocal camera to use for the testing, that will help you to decide on lens focal length to get if you are wanting to use a fixed lens camera.

My test rig is a 2x4 and two clamps and I clamp it to a step ladder. Allows me to adjust height fairly easily.

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will be installing these cameras today and tomorrow. Thanks for all the feedback, it has helped me tremendously. I will ask specific questions about the LPR camera on the LPR forum. However, while we are here, as far as the overview cam. How far apart should one camera be from the other. I was considering placing them one on top the other. Maybe 12 inches apart? I would imagine it will not matter much since the LPR cam will be zoomed in to the Target area. Just want to make sure before I keep on drilling lol

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Garage: There is no reason you have to mount above the lights. Below would work also. But BEFORE you start drilling, make a test rig (2x4 in a five gallon bucket with rocks/bricks/ whatever to hold up the 2x4) and put that camera on it. Place it at different heights and areas near your lights. Walk it at night and see how your face looks. Wear a ball cap. Cane you see the face? I do not worry about someone damaging a camera. If they do, chances are you will get a good video of them. Lower is better to get the face. If you have a varifocal camera to use for the testing, that will help you to decide on lens focal length to get if you are wanting to use a fixed lens camera.

My test rig is a 2x4 and two clamps and I clamp it to a step ladder. Allows me to adjust height fairly easily.

Man what a great Idea. I was considering building something out 2x4 but never considered a bucket. That is brilliant!!! Thanks.

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok installed three cameras, as soon as I figure out how to post pictures from the dahua NVR. I will post them for feedback. I brought the second camera lower and I like the angle so much more than that the first one I had installed thanks for the suggestions.