Help with T5442TM-6mm Sharpness/Focus/Clearness

teaser7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello experts. I'm struggling to get a clearer picture from my T5442TM-6mm cam. I'm pretty sure I'm making some rookie setting mistakes, so looking to the experts on what can be done to get clearer pictures.

Here's the cam in question. The plant in the foreground (and the mower) is about 10 ft away.
ESideDay01.png

At night, it looks even worse
SideNight01.jpg

Here's the same type of camera (T5442-6mm) on the other side of the house. Person is about 15 ft away. Looks much better.
WSideDay01.png

Here are the settings. Note my attempt at getting more sharpness...lol.
Settings.JPG

Looking for some advice please.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
During the day drop the NR way down like try in the 20s.

Sharpness at 100 is too high. The 5442 runs sharp out the box.

Try dropping the WDR further down as well - remember that is way too much digital processing - do you want a nice static image or a good image with motion?

Drop brightness and contrast as well. Contrast should be about 7 higher than brightness.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In terms of getting the most out of the camera, here is my "standard" post that many use as a start for dialing in day and night that helps get the clean captures and help the camera recognize people and cars.

Start with:

H264
8192 bitrate
CBR
15FPS
15 iframes

Every field of view is different, but I have found you need contrast to usually be 6-8 higher than the brightness number at night.

We want the ability to freeze frame capture a clean image from the video at night, and that is only done with a shutter of 1/60 or faster. At night, default/auto may be on 1/12s shutter or worse to make the image bright.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important parameters and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS. 15FPS is all that is usually needed.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-4ms exposure and 0-30 gain (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared or white light.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night static image results in Casper blur and ghost during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

In the daytime, if it is still too bright, then drop the 4ms down to 3ms then 2ms, etc. You have to play with it for your field of view.

Then at night, if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image. But try not to go above 70 for anything and try to have contrast be at least 7-10 digits higher than brightness.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats a very small file size for that image in .png, how did you get that image? can you upload a full res image?
Close focus distance on that 6mm is about 10ft, but the rest of the image looks like crap too

Is that from the substream? or main stream?
What bitrate are you running,
CBR/VBR?
H.264 or something else?
Is ROI turned on?

Suggestions

Sharpness 50
WDR - 1
Exposure 0-4
Gain leave it at 0-50
DNR - 35-40

teaser7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt responses, guys. Dropping exposure and DNR definitely helped, but still blurry though. Is my problem simply trying to capture something that's too close for the 6mm version? The neighbor's tree in the background looks sharp and crisp, huh?

To answer your questions @bigredfish and @wittaj
Bitrate: 8192
CBR
H.264
ROI is off
15 FPS

The images in first post were just screen grabs. lol. Sorry. Attached are the captured images. Second picture is with the new settings. A bit too dark (?). These are all mainstream images.

New settings:
Sharpness 50
Brightness 20
Constrast 27

Exposure 0-4
Gain 0-50
DNR 25
WDR 1

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah dont know if thats just a real bad shadow or late day clouds or what but yeah its dark.
Put brightness back to 50, I haven't used it other than 50 on well over 100 cameras, it will be fine.
I run 50 contrast as well

3.6mm turret
Home_BackDoor-5442_main_20230903094133_@5.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you are probably just too close now. If that is your optimal distance you could always pop it apart and manually adjust it to be in focus at that distance. It is easy to do.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
When you get daylight and have it dialed in as best you can, then experiment with WDR. I only use it where I have to with bad shadows. Try it live at 1,5,10,15,20 and see if there's a difference and use the absolute minimum you need. It will mess with colors and motion to a degree. On a number of mine its a huge difference between 0 and1 and on other cams it doesnt really kick in until about 20ish

Last edited:

teaser7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips @bigredfish! I didn’t know much about WDR number until this thread. Will definitely post followup questions/results after attempting to adjust focus.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 6mm I have focused better a bit further out than my 3.6mm and my 2.8mm cams...plus each mount location has unique aspects to it....The clearer cam has no shrub for the camera to focus on thats probably why the lawn mow guy is out of focus some...if the big Crime happens it will still be enough visual evidence....to say. yeah somebody came into the yard and did x y z