Help with troublesome plate night captures

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Image looks very grainy. I would definitely reduce the gain. You most likely need more IR light. Not all plates will reflect the same. I see many where people deliberately damage the coating.

Which state is that plate from ?, I don't recognise the font.

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
Image looks very grainy. I would definitely reduce the gain. You most likely need more IR light. Not all plates will reflect the same. I see many where people deliberately damage the coating.
Which state is that plate from ?, I don't recognise the font.
Gain is certainly something I can see being an issue. This camera is 5mp designed LPR at 50fps.
Adjusting gain is going to take some trial for another night (Very few cars traveling past tonight). Playing around with 2D & 3D noise reduction settings I either get more grainy or white blob, certainly the gain than post-processing.
Plates are NZ.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using the onboard IR or external Illuminator? First gut reaction is not enough IR or bad angle on IR.

But it could just be a bad old dirty plate.

Either way the rear plate isn’t reflecting IR much

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using the onboard IR or external Illuminator? First gut reaction is not enough IR or bad angle on IR.
But it could just be a bad old dirty plate.
Either way the rear plate isn’t reflecting IR much
Bad angle is part of it.
Camera is ~5ft high and ~80ft distance to plate. Offset from the road I think is around 25deg (ouch).
Built in IR of my Milesight LPR camera. The sucker draws ~17w at night with IR on, surely there's enough IR with 'far IR' set to 100%.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Im thinking maybe angle, not the 25 degree offset, thats fine, but like the camera IR is angled down maybe.? There doesnt appear to be much if any IR hitting that far rear plate