Help with video lag from IP camera in live view

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I have a 2MP dahua camera connected to my laptop via CAT6 cable though a POE Switch, and when I vew the stream live through internet explorer or BI, I gave a bit of lag in the video. I was wondering if there is any way to minimise this through settings in the camera or BI or is this a limitation on hardware? - I have video currently set to 720p so not running full HD.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I have a 2MP dahua camera connected to my laptop via CAT6 cable though a POE Switch, and when I vew the stream live through internet explorer or BI, I gave a bit of lag in the video. I was wondering if there is any way to minimise this through settings in the camera or BI or is this a limitation on hardware? - I have video currently set to 720p so not running full HD.
how long is the lag?

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
I would say a second or maybe less, but enough to be noticible

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say a second or maybe less, but enough to be noticible
About a half second lag is normal...it varies by network...its a non issue for 99.9 percent of applications...

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any way to reduce it? - Im showing live pictures with digital projector and would prefer if I could get it synced closer to the live audio

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any way to reduce it? - Im showing live pictures with digital projector and would prefer if I could get it synced closer to the live audio
I dont understand. How exactly are you using the camera?
With blue iris you can use the delay option in the video tab to delay the video so it sinks better with the audio...are you using the cameras audio?

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Im recording a church service with it, but would also like to be able to project live images also if needed, hence the need to minimise video delay.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Im recording a church service with it, but would also like to be able to project live images also if needed, hence the need to minimise video delay.
Not going to happen.....You should be using a standard video camera with live hdmi out capability. An ip camera is not designed for this purpose.

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Not going to happen.....You should be using a standard video camera with live hdmi out capability. An ip camera is not designed for this purpose.
Is there any way I can reduce the lag through the settings so it is a little less perceptible?

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Could I set up a sub stream at lower res and reduced bandwidth for the live stream option?

Burt25

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible in BI to have 2 streams from the one camera- one for recording and then using a lower res stream to screen? Also would a dedicated decoder reduce the lag of the live picture?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible in BI to have 2 streams from the one camera- one for recording and then using a lower res stream to screen? Also would a dedicated decoder reduce the lag of the live picture?
yes...simply add another camera in BI and but change the path to the substream path...you need to find that.
There is no such thing as a dedicated decoder..the delay is a result of the fact that the video has to be compressed and sent...you are simply using the wrong camera for the application...nothing can be done to completely eliminate the delay. Instead of throwing good money after bad, sell the camera, and buy a camcorder that has a live hdmi out option.