Hey all

PeteC

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys. Rookie here. Just ordered a Swann NVR8-7300 with 4 3mp bullets. Was going to mess around with it and see if I can get it working the way that would be easiest for me. Tech support didn't think it was going to work, but maybe you guys can chime in.

Ideally, I want to set up 2-3 of the camera connected to a PoE switch, connected to router. Then have the NVR at a different part of my house hard wired to the same network, but with no cameras actually plugged into it. They said this won't work because cameras need to be directly plugged into the NVR. It can be done, but will require a lot more wiring and less than ideal camera placement.

Plan 2 is to wire all cameras directly to unit. This will be a pain and a lot more expensive.

Can plan 1 work?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Rookie here. Just ordered a Swann NVR8-7300 with 4 3mp bullets. Was going to mess around with it and see if I can get it working the way that would be easiest for me. Tech support didn't think it was going to work, but maybe you guys can chime in.

Ideally, I want to set up 2-3 of the camera connected to a PoE switch, connected to router. Then have the NVR at a different part of my house hard wired to the same network, but with no cameras actually plugged into it. They said this won't work because cameras need to be directly plugged into the NVR. It can be done, but will require a lot more wiring and less than ideal camera placement.

Plan 2 is to wire all cameras directly to unit. This will be a pain and a lot more expensive.

Can plan 1 work?
Plan 1 will work just fine. That is one of the best benefits of network cameras. There is no need to homerun the cams. That said it wont be plug and play, you will need to manually enter the ip addresses into the nvr for each cam and set them static/dhcp reservation...