Hey From Dallas

DLC

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My name is Derek and I have a question for the community. Because I have a technical background, I'm an RF engineer, a friend of mine asked me to help him outfit his indoor basketball gym with high definition cameras so he can stream league games. Internet bandwidth is a non issue and he has a very generous budget for equipment. (Cameras, encoders, etc..)

I've read through the 'pinned' resources in the 'New Member Thread' and that has helped tremendously! but I'd appreciate some guidance on hardware recommendations. What are some recommended cameras that could be suitable for this application? (He wants to clearly see players on the court)

He's looking for 4MP to 8MP cameras which can be mounted 20 ft from the court at a height of 10 to 12 feet. I'm also not limited by the number of cameras per court. If one does the job, that fine. If 2 or 3 are recommended... also fine. I'm curious to learn how to calculate the best viewing angles, and camera placements on these basketball courts.

Again, any insight that can be shared would be helpful.

Much appreciated!

DC

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...not that cheaper 4mp or 8mp cameras are limited to 20 and 15fps respectively at full res..that is not an issue for security but may be a problem for ball games. see the ipvm.com calculator...

DLC

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I'll check out the calculator!

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. I'm in Richardson Derek.

DLC

n3wb
Reaction score
gwminor48... small world! I'm new to this so its great knowing someone from the community is nearby. Nice to meet you.

DLC

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks bigredfish! Much appreciated! I'll check it out.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I was mostly joking sorry, its way pricey, like $3K or so. Probably not be ideal for your situation unless you could hang it center of court say 20+ft high. I just want to see someone install one so we can all see how it does ;)

I have no experience with that type of installation, but Dahua does make more practical panoramic cameras that may be worth looking at....
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-pfw8601-a180-3341.html