Hi All!

WallaWalla

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All!

New member from Florida here! Want to start off by thanking everyone who contributes to this forum, I have found it to be a wealth of information over the last couple of weeks.

I am currently going through the process of designing and setting up a new security system for my home in part for two reasons:
  1. I currently have a wireless Arlo system and I'm tired of dealing with the lag, false alerts, lack of 24/7 recording, etc.
  2. I am a software engineer by trade and needed a new "tech" project to work on outside of Work.

I am using a computer I built a few years ago (with ample specs) as my NVR and have already set up a 2nd NIC to connect my PoE Switch/Cameras to for a private LAN isolated from the internet (per the common recommendation on this forum). I will most-likely be running Digital Watchdog Spectrum (unpopular opinion here I know) as well as Scrypted so that I can at least connect to and stream my cameras via Apple HomeKit as well.

I need to run ethernet from my garage to my office closet (existing two story house) and due to the current construction the contractor I have been talking to is recommending I run the lines in the ground along the exterior of my home into my office closet, as well as around to my back yard (for the rear cameras) as there is no easy wall and/or attic access there. Is this a common solution for people in my situation? Any tips or anything else I should consider from anyone else who has gone through a similar process? I'm planning on running a few extra lines for cameras I may or may never add (for future flexibility/resiliency) as well as purchasing conduit to put in the ground so the lines aren't just buried bare.

Anyways, thanks again and looking forward to learning more about PoE cameras from everyone!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All!

New member from Florida here! Want to start off by thanking everyone who contributes to this forum, I have found it to be a wealth of information over the last couple of weeks.

I am currently going through the process of designing and setting up a new security system for my home in part for two reasons:
  1. I currently have a wireless Arlo system and I'm tired of dealing with the lag, false alerts, lack of 24/7 recording, etc.
  2. I am a software engineer by trade and needed a new "tech" project to work on outside of Work.

I am using a computer I built a few years ago (with ample specs) as my NVR and have already set up a 2nd NIC to connect my PoE Switch/Cameras to for a private LAN isolated from the internet (per the common recommendation on this forum). I will most-likely be running Digital Watchdog Spectrum (unpopular opinion here I know) as well as Scrypted so that I can at least connect to and stream my cameras via Apple HomeKit as well.

I need to run ethernet from my garage to my office closet (existing two story house) and due to the current construction the contractor I have been talking to is recommending I run the lines in the ground along the exterior of my home into my office closet, as well as around to my back yard (for the rear cameras) as there is no easy wall and/or attic access there. Is this a common solution for people in my situation? Any tips or anything else I should consider from anyone else who has gone through a similar process? I'm planning on running a few extra lines for cameras I may or may never add (for future flexibility/resiliency) as well as purchasing conduit to put in the ground so the lines aren't just buried bare.

Anyways, thanks again and looking forward to learning more about PoE cameras from everyone!
If running underground .. definitely run conduit and get properly rated cable ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All!

If running underground .. definitely run conduit and get properl

WallaWalla

n3wb
Reaction score
If running underground .. definitely run conduit and get properl
Got it, will do! Do you know if the conduit needs to be a "more or less" closed system? I.e. using elbow joints around corners etc. so that the entire pipe is sealed other than the beginning/end? Or is the primary reason to avoid physical damage like accidentally cutting it with a shovel in which case there is probably less of a need to have the entire system sealed?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got it, will do! Do you know if the conduit needs to be a "more or less" closed system? I.e. using elbow joints around corners etc. so that the entire pipe is sealed other than the beginning/end? Or is the primary reason to avoid physical damage like accidentally cutting it with a shovel in which case there is probably less of a need to have the entire system sealed?
Hi @WallaWalla

Normally you the entire run underground is continuous and the pipes sealed together .. could you do it differently ? Yes.

One reason I do like the entire run to be continuous and sealed, is that you can then replace the cable(s) if need be with minimal digging ..

Of course, it will depend on the number of bends you have in the run. Too many bends will be problematic

WallaWalla

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds good, thanks! I was doing some more reading a found some posts on this forum as well as several on Reddit that are making me second guess my decision to run copper outside/underground around my house due to electrical interference, lightning, etc.
As I live in Florida and we get our share of thunderstorms I'm wondering if this indeed a real concern and if I should instead look to running fiber around to the back of my house and then from there convert and run PoE to the rear cameras so I don't have to be as concerned with grounding, surge suppression, etc.

Any thoughts or is this just overkill? Obviously my primary concern would be a surge coming back to my PoE switch, computer, all my cameras, etc.