Hi From Florida

broadstone

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone...total n3wb here browsing looking for direction on how to set up an outdoor streaming camera on a lakefront dock 150ft away from the main house.

I want the webcam to stream 24/7 over Facebook live and on our website. It doesn't have to be super professional but we do want HD.

Any direction on what equipment is recommended would be most appreciated.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

IS there power at the dock, 120VAC? If so the simplest, and electrically safest way to do it is to use a dedicated wireless link like the Ubiquity Nano Loco M5. It will handle up to eight cameras or so in 4K and provide total electrical isolation to prevent lightning surges from getting into the system. For a camera have a look at the Dahua 5442 series, 4MP and good low light performance. Be aware that these are not "plug and play" cameras and need to be set up for each location. Another consideration is focal length of the lens. Fixed lens versions are available in 2.6mm, 3.6mm and 6mm There is also a varifocal with a 3-12mm lens but is a little more expensive. A Varifocal is not a zoom camera. It is designed to be set a whatever focal length you need and left that way.

Read the WiKi in the blue bar at the top of the page. Lots of valuable information regarding how to set up surveillance cameras.

5442 Reviews

broadstone

n3wb
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs Yes there is power at the dock.

So the Ubiquiti device would be plugged in at the dock and then would pick up the wifi signal from the main house 150ft away? The camera would then feed into the Ubiquiti signal?

Also since the Ubiquity device you mentioned will be close to water, will it stand up to the weather? We don't mind paying more money for a device which will last.

Thanks so much for the info.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The Nano Loco M5 is a two piece system. One at the far end, one at the near end. It uses encryption and is not really WiFi in the sense that you normally think of WiFi as. Surveillance cameras on "regular" WiFi, like a lot of the cheap consumer grade cameras, will overload a WiFi system very quickly. Cameras are not like watching a movie on WiFi. When you watch a movie buffering of the download comes into play. There is no buffering with surveillance cameras, they are a constant, real time, stream which can easily overload a normal WiFi system. I tried a WiFi camera early on in my surveillance system. It was about 100 feet from the router and it dropped out constantly even after installing "high gain" antennas on both ends. I have three cameras on a Nano Loco M5 link and they never drop other than if there's a power outage at the far end, no UPS out in the shed.

If you use a system like the Nano Loco M5 you can also plug in a regular network switch and have an instant connection, almost as good as a wired connection, back to you local LAN in the house. I wouldn't do that, myself, because I like to keep the cameras segregated from the internet for additional security. Cameras, no matter who makes them, are notorious for having many security holes that let them get used for DDOS attacks and as gateways to get into a local LAN to steal data.

Forgot to add the the Nano Loco M5 is weatherproof and suitable for outdoor use.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the Ubiquiti device would be plugged in at the dock and then would pick up the wifi signal from the main house 150ft away? The camera would then feed into the Ubiquiti signal?
There would be 2 of the UBNT (Ubiquiti) devices that @sebastiantombs mentioned; 1 at the dock, 1 at the house. They are identical except how they are configured: as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge.
Also since the Ubiquity device you mentioned will be close to water, will it stand up to the weather? We don't mind paying more money for a device which will last.
They are made for outdoors.

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the explanation. I'm not really a tech person so trying to get my head around this :)
Understood.
If you don't feel up to configuring them, they can be purchased pre-configured from amazon, among other places.
FWIW, if you know how to temporarily change your PC's Ethernet interface's IP address and make it static, and follow the directions linked in post #5, then you can configure them yourself.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just yesterday set up two of these as my very first foray into setting up and using bridges.

I also bought these to power them.

They had 420 in stock when I ordered monday....now special order??? :oops:

Only thing I can say is, when setting them up when new, DO NOT use the POS phone app, that they push on you. Much simpler to just log into their default IP of 192.168.1.20 one at a time, and set them up that way. They work great!

Last edited: