Hi there! Brand spanking new here

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and new to the world of video surveillance. I have got a total of 6 cameras up and running. 4 PoE Reolinks (outside), 1 Reolink wireless (inside), and 1 Altop wireless (inside). The PoE ones at 1080p and the wireless at 720p. All of them 15-20fps. I can see how this can become very addicting with wanting more cameras to cover blind spots. Having fun working through the ins and outs. Was using ISpy and it did work good. Just highly annoying because had to adjust settings of each camera because daytime and night time triggers are like well... night and day difference. :)

Am currently experimenting with Blue Iris. Purchased it just last night. Trying to figure out the profiles/scheduling/zones to get them just right. Moving tree shadows from wind, clouds, and insects. Lots and lots of false alarms, but I will get there. lol

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use Motion Detection outdoors simply to save a bit of disk space when nothing is moving and false alarms wont really matter much; If you use video motion to notify you of outdoor activity, well then best of luck to you.. I refuse to use anything so noisy, false alarms might as well be missed alarms... because your going to ignore any device that is alerting you to nothing important most of the time.

Good luck, have fun.. do lots of testing, you dont want to find out that you cant get an ID after someone steals something.. walk around at night and pretend your up to no good after adjusting your image settings to make sure it really works.. think like a bad guy, put your self into there shoes and figure out how to break into your own house like a pro.. and see what you capture.

Good system uses human psychology to boost odds in your favor, landscape natural choke points and install your cameras looking tightly at these areas so your chances of success are much higher.. put cameras in places people are likely to look directly into, hiding it so good nobody ever looks into it and all u get is the tops of heads is usually not a great strategy.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank You for the advice nayr. Tonight I will go out and "sneak" around outside the house just to see what the cams can do at night. Yup, I have been having a bit of trouble with someone helping themselves to my lawn mower gas out of my shed. They are good because no matter what kind of padlock I put on it they still get in.

So far I have not set up BI to send any emails or texts. With all the false alarms I am getting my phone would be driving me crazy and I would want to chuck it at a wall. :p So before even trying out those features I want to get the numbers down.