Highly unstable and unreliable versions of BI lately?

Javier

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been a BI user with several servers for more than 5 years. Since a about 3 months ago many versions have been rolling out and my servers have been starting to act up. In 5 years I have never seen BI so unstable. I have talked to another person who also runs BI and has had several crashes too. Even the "stable" versions are having crashes and unreliable behavior.

I have at least a crash weekly, and I know of another person who is also experiencing crashes. My servers are running on different hardware and different versions.

It has got to a point that I no longer trust the software, I need to setup some kind of monitoring service to alert me when one BI or computer is down.

Am I the only one?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're having a problem with the recent versions why not revert back to an older version that you know is stable? There are many complex changes being made to BI in this last set of updates that can effect system stability. I have yet to have a crash, though. I also would suggest you shut off the automatic update feature.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
When you say crashes what do you mean? My BI service randomly crashes according to the logs but it always restarts the service so there might be a slight blip but seems to recover.

If you are having other types of crashes then I’ve not seen anybody else post this type of problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been a BI user with several servers for more than 5 years. Since a about 3 months ago many versions have been rolling out and my servers have been starting to act up. In 5 years I have never seen BI so unstable. I have talked to another person who also runs BI and has had several crashes too. Even the "stable" versions are having crashes and unreliable behavior.

I have at least a crash weekly, and I know of another person who is also experiencing crashes. My servers are running on different hardware and different versions.

It has got to a point that I no longer trust the software, I need to setup some kind of monitoring service to alert me when one BI or computer is down.

Am I the only one?
No, there are many many users like you with "update OCD". This has always been the case. This is what happens when you have update OCD and dont wait for a stable release. That is the beauty of BI, you have the OPTION to update and updates come fast rather than once every six months. In an effort to placate folks who have a finger itch to update the developer released a dual path to update, including known good stable versions. Unfortunately folks with update OCD, dont listen. The result is the problem you have. The last known stable version is 5.2.6.5. If you want to play with the new toys and features, do so at your own risk.
Some people need to be forced into submission, so if you no longer trust the software, consider moving to a VMS that offers minimal updates once or twice a year, this way you will be restrained from updating.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm running the latest version of BI, and it has worked fine for a month of two now. When I have had problems in the past, step back a version or two, and, as looney said, clean install helps. I will get into "update OCD" at times, but stop that when too many problems crop up.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are a lot of new point versions being released. Very few of them have actually grenaded one of my systems, often they just introduce some annoyance for a week or so until the next point release.

Don't install a 5.x.y.0 release on a production system

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Javier It isn't just you. BI updates in the last several months have been making a lot of deep internal changes and they most definitely had an effect on the program's stability. The stability issues are mostly fixed now, but I would still give it a little more time before updating from a version that you trust to be stable.