Hik 2385 works great in browser but NVR can't see it

Reaction score
Hey all - sorry if this has been asked before. I've got six 3MP Hiks connected to a PCNVR with no internet connection. One went bad due to water getting into the plug, so I bought an 8MP to replace it (2385). I've activated it with the SADP software and am able to log into it in a browser just fine. Beautiful picture!

Unfortunately, the PCNVR cannot see it (using Genius Vision software.) I put in the correct IP (192.168.0.15), and it assumes Port 80 and Channel 1 - and it doesn't work. Might there be something I've missed in either SADP or the Hikvision browser setup? There are certainly a lot of settings in there.

I have tried using H264, H265, H265+, and changing resolutions, but I never can get it to work.

Many thanks for your help - I really appreciate it!!

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it’s assuming port 80, then I’m guessing your trying to connect via onvif. If so, the onvif has been disable by default in recent FW versions. Login via web browser, and enable onvif. I don’t recal where to find it, I’m sure a google search will help you.

Reaction score
Well THAT was a wild ride!! Got the cam set to ONVIF, but it made my NVR software go crazy! "Genius Vision has encountered a problem and needs to close", etc. When I reopen it, it won't automatically log in and says "no connection." When I take the cam off of ONVIF, the NVR software works just fine.

So - any idea how I can set this cam up *not* as ONVIF? Hikvision isnt one of the included camera profiles. I tried a few but none worked.

MANY thanks!

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When “trying a few” make sure to be using port 8000. If you do happen to find a protocol that is compatable, your communication is going to be on port 8000

Reaction score
Well I've tried a bunch and no luck, unfortunately. I did try port 8000. I even reinstalled iVMS-4200 and got it all set up, but it's just so cumbersome to review footage and it's a resource hog; that's the thing about Genius Vision - it lets me live-view six cameras basically in realtime even on the old PC I'm using as an NVR.

So - I'm really hoping to figure out why this software won't see the cam. It's now working on the IP cam viewer on my phone, and in iVMS, but just won't work in Genius Vision. And when I set that camera to ONVIF, it literally crashes the program!! Perhaps there's another setting I need to change when I switch it to ONVIF?

I know this is a complicated issue - I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help!

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe it’s worth getting a proper NVR and be done with it

Reaction score
Well honestly I'd consider it. Is that an easier route than a PCNVR?

Just a shame since everything's working great except the one NEW cam! So close.....

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It’s purpose built! Of course it’s easier.

Reaction score
Makes sense. Ah, the defeat though......after spending all this time and money on a PCNVR that *almost* works :)

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was wondering if you had tried using Hikvision's own PCNVR software?

I've just ordered a 2CD2385FWD-I but have been using a number of Hikvison camera's with Hikvision PCNVR without issues including the 2CD2335 which is the same product family.

I had previously tried GeniusVision but the CPU loading when recording video streams was too high for my liking. The Hivksion PCNVR software uses almost no CPU cycles when recording my 4x3MP cams. Of course, on playback the CPU usage increases slightly but most of the heavy lifting is done by the client PC so it remains very efficient as as NVR.

I'm particularly interested in knowing if the 2CD2385FWD-I will work with Hikvision PCNVR as I'll be trying it myself as soon as the camera arrives.

Incidentally, the H265 and H265+ doesn't work with PCNVR. I can only store steams encoded in H264 and H264+. I'm guessing the limitation is due mainly as a result of PCNVR not having been updated since 2015. However, it does work just fine with the current version of IVMS4500 for remote playback and viewing.

Reaction score
Hey venturis - are you talking about the iVMS-4200 software? I did try that and it seemed fairly heavy on my CPU, not that there may not be ways to lessen the load so it runs better! I didn't know that about 265 - thank you! I think my 8MP turret is in fact set for 265 - which actually might be EXACTLY why it's messing up the whole software :) if you just solved my issue, I will be over the moon!

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
iVMS4200 is the "client" software whilst PCNVR4200 is the "Server" or NVR.

In my setup I use PCNVR4200 on a computer that acts as the NVR server which contains the storage for recording.

To access the PCNVR I installed iVMS4200 on a client computer for viewing and playback. iVMS4200 can also be used to configure the PCNVR4200.

As I mentioned, PCNVR4200 hasn't been updated since 2015 so it lacks H265 decoding support I think.

Reaction score
Issue solved! Went to just plain 264 and that worked - that combined with the right port (80 in this case.) Not sure how I didn't discover that earlier. Many thanks for all the good suggestions!