Hik 7608 please set dwell time in live view settings menu and try again error msg

Reaction score
Ive searched and cannot seem to find this problem anywhere else. When I try to log into my NVR which is a Hikvision DS-7608, I get this error msg: "please set dwell time in live view settings menu and try again", click OK and it keeps coming back. A reboot might stop it, sometimes 2-3 reboots then I can login, I have dwell time set already so not sure whats causing this issue. Also the virtual keyboard has rapid ghost typing, like a few keys are being pressed. I upgraded firmware to 3.4.96_082019NA to see if it helps and it didnt.

Im trying not to reset to defaults but it seems its what might need to happen, any help is appreciated, TIA.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's strange...

I bet you already did, but maybe try changing dwell time (and full screen monitoring dwell time) to a different value to see if something resets.

Change the dwell time for each output (HDMI/VGA) listed under video output interface, even if you are not using the output.

If that didn't work, reset to defaults is probably the next thing to try...

What's the full model number and region for the NVR?

Reaction score
That's strange...

I bet you already did, but maybe try changing dwell time (and full screen monitoring dwell time) to a different value to see if something resets.

Change the dwell time for each output (HDMI/VGA) listed under video output interface, even if you are not using the output.

If that didn't work, reset to defaults is probably the next thing to try...

I Just reset to defaults and same thing just happened, this system has been running for years with no issues. I needed to pull video today of all days and this is what I get. Not sure what else to do, maybe its time for a new one?

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Reaction score
Does it have a "UL Listed" logo on the serial number label? If so it's US region and the latest US firmware is V3.4.96 build 181107.

If it were mine, I would try loading V3.4.106 build 191009 from either the UK portal HIKVISION UK PORTAL (hikvisioneurope.com)

or the EU portal DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL (hikvisioneurope.com)
Just finished installing UK firmware, it acted ok for the setup wizard and just after I finished the 'dwell' error came back. Looks like I have to format the system and see if itll go back to normal. What about my other issue? ghost typing in the virtual keyboard and even on the menu, itll toggle rapidly. Have you seen or heard of that before?

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don’t think formatting the drives will help as just video and logs are stored on them.

Try another reset to system defaults now that you have the upgraded the firmware.

I’m out now but I’ll think about it some more… I do seem to recall seeing the “menu toggling” you describe a few years ago when I had an e series NVR also… maybe silly, but try another mouse?

Reaction score
I don’t think formatting the drives will help as just video and logs are stored on them.

Try another reset to system defaults now that you have the upgraded the firmware.

I’m out now but I’ll think about it some more… I do seem to recall seeing the “menu toggling” you describe a few years ago when I had an e series NVR also… maybe silly, but try another mouse?
Ive set to defaults after the new FW, error came 1 time then I changed dwell times even though I dont use them and so far error hasnt repeated itself, time will tell. I still have to reconfigure the network now to get everything back online.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
sounds good so far… is the ghost gone as well?

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you get the cameras back online?

I'm not sure but I think that model has a wireless IR remote control. If so, perhaps something is happening there...

I don't think there is a way to configure or disable the IR... maybe try finding the receiver for the IR on the NVR and covering it with a piece of tape?

Reaction score
Ok, figured out camera problem, system password and cam pass were mismatched, once I paired them all up they came online. Dwell error isnt as persistant as it was, but still present. I think this system does have an IR and its facing the wall. Im also guessing either controllers are failing or drivers for the mouse and or virtual keyboard are bad. The ghost problem persists when I use a mouse.

All in all, I think its time for a new NVR lol before I get left in dark

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All in all, I think its time for a new NVR lol before I get left in dark
I agree... that NVR is end of life anyway... the I-series DS-7608NI-I2/8 is much better.

I haven't tried myself (yet), but consider using blue iris software on a PC (instead of NVR)... it's very popular/gets raving reviews on this site.

Reaction score
I agree... that NVR is end of life anyway... the I-series DS-7608NI-I2/8 is much better.

I haven't tried myself (yet), but consider using blue iris software on a PC (instead of NVR)... it's very popular/gets raving reviews on this site.
I was actually looking at that Blue Iris software, until I had all this weird stuff happen to me and now my PC is acting strange. Now I have to see what the deal is on this SMH