Hik ColorVu vs Color4K-X / Color4K-T?

wondering

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a clear winner between these cameras? I understand that a 4MP ColorVu is going to be better in low light than an 8MP ColorVu, but are the Dahua / EmpireTech Andy offerings (Color4K-X / Color4K-T) 'better' than ColorVu, or are they basically the same thing?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To some people that is like comparing a Honda to a Toyota LOL.

Many people have come here after buying the Hikvision ColorVu series expressing their disappointment in the picture quality of the camera because they were expecting magic. It is worth repeating LOL - if you do not have ambient light outside or do not like the white LED lights on, you are better off with cameras that can see infrared. ColorVu type cameras cannot see infrared, so you can't add infrared later.

Further, it's onboard white LED lights are not as bright as the white LEDs on the 4K/X.

There seems to be more posts started here with complaints about the Hik version at night than the 4K/X. If you want a full color, the 4K/X is a better choice.

Or maybe the people that buy the Hikvision version are naive and think they are magic and the ones that buy the 4K/X are educated as to the proper placement for this type of camera LOL...

Here is link to a thread of many that shows the disappointment of many thinking a ColorVu camera was magic and could defy physics. Full Color type cameras are great if you have light, but will be horrible if you do not have enough light.

wondering

n3wb
Reaction score
To some people that is like comparing a Honda to a Toyota LOL.

Many people have come here after buying the Hikvision ColorVu series expressing their disappointment in the picture quality of the camera because they were expecting magic. It is worth repeating LOL - if you do not have ambient light outside or do not like the white LED lights on, you are better off with cameras that can see infrared. ColorVu type cameras cannot see infrared, so you can't add infrared later.

Further, it's onboard white LED lights are not as bright as the 4K/X.

There seems to be more posts started here with complaints about the Hik version at night than the 4K/X. If you want a full color, the 4K/X is a better choice.

Or maybe the people that buy the Hikvision version are naive and think they are magic and the ones that buy the 4K/X are educated as to the proper placement for this type of camera LOL...

Here is link to a thread of many that shows the disappointment of many thinking a ColorVu camera was magic and could defy physics. Full Color type cameras are great if you have light, but will be horrible if you do not have enough light.

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed. I have a lot of ambient light at night. Right now just looking to do as best I can for driveway / get away from Amcrest / Dahua flood light...surely I can do better than this? It's also Wi-Fi and often goes offline.

wondering

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah this will blow it away. Flood lights, cameras, and wifi are a horrible combination LOL.
Should I go for 8MP (either platform) / would one excel over the other in the 8MP department? I really would like higher resolution (I believe 4MP is what I have already) but not if it makes nighttime footage relatively unusable!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have the light, the 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor is the camera to get. Just keep in mind that these cameras do not see infrared so you cannot add external infrared later.

wondering

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have the light, the 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor is the camera to get. Just keep in mind that these cameras do not see infrared so you cannot add external infrared later.
Aren't both the EmpireTech / Dahua and the 8MP Hik ColorVu 1/1.2" sensor?

I did not know that they do not have infrared. But again, I have plenty of artificial light, even with my lights off.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, but when you mentioned amcrest lol, I can assure you whatever MP it has isn't on the ideal sensor size lol, so I wanted to make it clear not to shop for a cheaper 8MP lol.

wondering

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, but when you mentioned amcrest lol, I can assure you whatever MP it has isn't on the ideal sensor size lol, so I wanted to make it clear not to shop for a cheaper 8MP lol.
Oh, absolutely, that's technically a Dahua but it's a pretty bad sensor...1/2.7" 2MP, apparently!