Hik-Connect account for notifications

intz

n3wb
Reaction score
I use the Hik-Connect app (v5.2.4.0609) to make a local connection to my NVR and have setup a VPN to access it outside of my network when using a cell phone. Reading plenty of threads on this forum has me thinking this is the most secure setup.

Unfortunately, as I understand it, push notifications from the NVR to the Hik-Connect mobile app are not supported using local connections. :(

To enable push notifications I will need to create a Hik-Connect account and add my NVR to it. I have been avoiding this as I am unsure of the risks of doing so, but I really am set on getting push notifications instead of email alerts.

What are the risks of a using a Hik-Connect account?
Does it create some possibly insecure connection from my NVR to the Hik-Connect online platform?
How does this account work to allow remote connections to the NVR?
Does authentication info/tokens etc. pass through this service?

Any information anyone might have in this area would be very helpful helping me decide if I should just stick with email notifications or not.

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are the risks of a using a Hik-Connect account?

It does support fingerprint/strong password option. You can unbind NVR from cloud at anytime if u know admin password(in case you lose your phone)
Only risk i can think of is that you eneble autologin without fingerprint confirmation everytime app is opened. And if you lose phone in worst case scenario they will be able to see your cams, until u unbind it.

Does it create some possibly insecure connection from my NVR to the Hik-Connect online platform?

Everything that goes out to internet can be classified as insecure nowdays, is it more secure than dyndns and port opening? Yes its more secure.

How does this account work to allow remote connections to the NVR?

With hik-connect you cannot do remote configuration, but you can use hik-partnerpro(for installers) to do remote configuration of your nvr

Does authentication info/tokens etc. pass through this service?

This is something we cant know. You can check wireshark packets going to amazon aws , but i believe everything is encrypted.
We would need to have access to cloudsdk or api to know what is being passed.

Cheers