Hik ddns and router noob question

Bigjebac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so my question may sound stupid but I have no idea lol. When I configured my ddns on my nvr I only ever forwarded ports in my router but never set up hik ddns within the router all was done via the nvr. Do I need to set up the hik ddns within the router? Or is the nvr getting the changing ips by itself? Reason I ask I need to set up another ddns for my house alarm app and was going to use the routers ddns set up but not sure if it will effect the nvr which I thought was properly configured but the routers ddns is disabled.

Thanks guys

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so my question may sound stupid but I have no idea lol. When I configured my ddns on my nvr I only ever forwarded ports in my router but never set up hik ddns within the router all was done via the nvr. Do I need to set up the hik ddns within the router? Or is the nvr getting the changing ips by itself? Reason I ask I need to set up another ddns for my house alarm app and was going to use the routers ddns set up but not sure if it will effect the nvr which I thought was properly configured but the routers ddns is disabled.

Thanks guys
Any device on your network with internet access can update your ip address. So the NVR can do it without the router.

Bigjebac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, one last thing.
If my current hik ddns host name hits port 80, say I open port 1100 for my alarm app will I simply go us.hik-online.com/username:1100
So it hits port 1100 rather than 80? Hopefully I'm getting the hang of this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, one last thing.
If my current hik ddns host name hits port 80, say I open port 1100 for my alarm app will I simply go us.hik-online.com/username:1100
So it hits port 1100 rather than 80? Hopefully I'm getting the hang of this.
exactly...that is how it should work (and does with all standard dynamic dns providers)

Bigjebac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so I've set it all up but unfortunately when I go to hit the port of my alarm it says "the device is not registered on the server" obviously I can't register a non hikvision device mmmm any ideas??? Has anyone used hiddns for non hikvision stuff? Am at my wits end

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so I've set it all up but unfortunately when I go to hit the port of my alarm it says "the device is not registered on the server" obviously I can't register a non hikvision device mmmm any ideas??? Has anyone used hiddns for non hikvision stuff? Am at my wits end
why dont you simply use another dynamic dns service...

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That can't be done... HiDDNS is only for Hikvision devices.

Bigjebac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I tryed lol thanks guys wanted to avoid the fees and or noip 30day changing host names. My router limits who I can use for ddns and I don't have a computer permanently on the network to run the duc. All good signed up to noip and will eventually go on their payed service to avoid having to log in every month if my ip doesn't change. Appreciate the help