HIK DS-7616NI-I2/16P Factory Reset Help Needed

MikeC504

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been struggling with the problem described below for several months. Multiple calls to Hik Tech support have not bee helpful. It seems they do not want to help - just direct me to an installer. Hopefully someone can help here. I would really appreciate it.

Problem summary: I updated the firmware on my DS-7616NI HIK NVR. I believe the new firmware revision is V4.40.010build 200430. The unit appears to work after the upgrade sort of. I had HikConnect set up prior to the upgrade and I am still able to view my cameras through that. On the iVMS-4200 PC desktop app, I can only mount the NVR through HikConnect. I can't mount the NVR through the local connection. The login names are all corrupted and I am unable to do a password reset through HIK so I have NO local access. See picture below:
1603828973435.png

The key here is I can access the NVR conifiguration through HikConnect using IVMS4200.

It seems I have too choices:

1: Somehow do a factory reset through HikConnect (see picture below with the most promising option). Presumably this will kill the HikConnect functionality and completely brick the NVR if if fails.
2: Using the TFTP method, reload the firmware. This seems like a scary process rife with opportunity for screwing it up.

Here is a picture of what appears to be factory reset option:
1603828881142.png

Will selecting one of these options marked with the arrow put the unit back in a factory default state? Or will I just lose my HikConnect access?

Is the TFTP option the only way to fix this? If yes, if someone could point me to the walk through tutorial [for dummies like me] to do this, that would be very much appreciated

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The login names are all corrupted and I am unable to do a password reset through HIK so I have NO local access.
There have been a few instances of this database corruption on an update to 'firmware 4'.
It must be fairly widespread as I recall seeing a mention of the need to apply updates incrementally to avoid this on a Hikvision change note recently.

I've no way to check this myself, and the instructions are not clear - but with later versions of the 4.x version firmware, with NVRs registered with HikConnect 4.3.0 or later, there appears to be a 'recover password' option by scanning a QR code.

If iVMS4200 is truly able to reset the device to defaults - that may be the best option.

Can you add the device to the Batch Configuration Tool and access a reset to defaults under the Maintenance menu?

By the way - the classic Hikvision tftp updater will not apply firmware updates, the files are larger than it's 32MB filesize limit.
Scott Lamb's Python-based tftp updater clone would work, if the NVR still has the tftp update facility built in.

MikeC504

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Is there are way to check if the TFTP update facility is working without actually loading the firmware before bricking the unit? Is there a good step by step tutorial how to do this? The description provided on the software link is rather terse and I am not a programmer.

MikeC504

n3wb
Reaction score
I see no option in the batch configuration tool to reset to defaults. Can you point out where that option would be found? Recall that I do not have an administrator password because something was corrupted during the firmware update.

I have not yet attempted the reset to defaults on the iVMS4200 as no one has actually told me what those buttons do.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Recall that I do not have an administrator password because something was corrupted during the firmware update.
Yes, I was making the probably optimistic assumption that As iVMS4200 was apparently still working that the API access was still functional, even if the web GUI access wasn't.

Also - in the release notes for the V4.x firmware there is mention of scanning a QR code from the NVR for a password reset, though it's not clear (to me at least) how exactly that works.

This is the Batch Configuration Tool reset to defaults, if a login was still possible through that route.

Attachments

MikeC504

n3wb
Reaction score
I took a risk and performed the reset all through HIK Connect and it did in fact reset the unit back to Inactive so I could put a new password. Thank goodness as I really was not keen on the TFTP process which has many conflicting reports how to actually do it or if it will work depending what firmware version you are running.

Hours of calls with Hik Tech support and they could not tell me that. I have to say that Hik technical support is absolutely terrible. In fact, if I were ever to set up another security system, I would not use them as a vendor - period. Fortunately there are good sources of information from forums such as this for those who are stuck with this terrible equipment supplier.

Here are the key takaways from this experience:
1. If you use Hik, don't count on them for any useful technical support. Go in eyes wide open.
2. Don't do firmware updates if you don't need to. They are just dangerous and Hik's position is if it fails, it is not their problem at all.
3. Set up HikConnect for remote config access. It saved my bacon here.