HIK NVR 7604 firmware update fails (informative)

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the HIK NVR 7604NI-SEP with firmware 2.3.7 build 131112 and serial number that includes the string BBRR in the middle of the serial number and the camera HIK 2332 (3Mpixels) that also has the RR in the middle of the serial number. They were both purchased from Bulgaria and I have a suspicion that RR means Russian Region. This is not confirmed officially by anyone. If anyone knows more please comment.

I tried to upgrade the NVR to all firmware versions starting with the latest firmware 2.3.8 and 2.3.7 (from US HIK FTP site) to the older versions of 2.3.7 available in the European portal.
Initially I used USB stick formatted as NTFS attached to the front USB socket of the NVR. All upgrades failed before completion with the message "Upgrading failed, no enough flash memory"
Then I disconnected the camera, rebooted and used a FAT32 USB stick.
The USA versions 2.3.8 and 2.3.7 failed again with the same error message.
Then I tried the latest European version 2.3.7 build 140609. This version succesfully upgraded the NVR with no problems and with all settings untouched.

Anyone else with similar experiences? Please always specify the model and the middle 4 characters of the serial number that indicate somehow the geographical region targeted by the device.