Hik usb joystick ds-1005ki compatibility

boomer53a

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I thought i would add to this post as I recently purchased the Hikvision DS-1005KI USB Keyboard (joystick) as I have a Hikvision DS-2DE7186-AE PTZ on my Hikvision DS-7616NI-E2/8P NVR.

The Hikvsion DS-1005Ki documentation (appears) to advise that the USB keyboard (joystick) can be directly connected to the NVR provided the USB keyboard is in USB Joystick mode... (extract from the User Manual)...

3.2.2 DVR/NVR Control
Make sure the keyboard is in USB joystick mode.

This is achieved by holding down the Window/Channel switch button on the USB keyboard for approx. 5 seconds. Two green LED's will illuminate indicating the USB joystick mode has been selected.

However upon connecting the USB Keyboard (joystick) to my NVR the USB Keyboard powers on, displays the firmware version (e.g. 1.2.1) however the USB keyboard is not able to control the PTZ (e.g. Pan, Tilt, Zoom etc.). My NVR firmware version is V3.4.80 Build 160718 (I semi-recently installed this version from the Hikvsion Europe Portal and has been stable for nearly 1 month - e.g. no abnormal shutdowns etc.).

I was able to successfully control my PTZ with the USB keyboard using the iVMS-4200 software. However I had to downgrade the version from iVMS-4200 v2.5.0.5 to V2.3.1.3 (noting I haven't attempted connectivity to an iVMS version between this version V2.3.1.3 and V2.5.0.5). With V2.5.0.5 I continually received an error along the lines of...

Unable to control PTZ. hcnetsdk.dll[91]

I was not able to locate anything specific to iVMS-4200 and PTZ control online so I downgraded the version which resolved the issue (does this indicate that Hikvision have removed support for the DS-1005KI USB Keyboard in the latest iVMS version??? (other functions like switching camera channels in iVMS-4200 V2.5.0.5 was possible, just not joystick control???).

Is it therefore possible that the NVR version has excluded support for V3.4.80 Build 160718? If it's along the same lines as the iVMS-4200 version approach I was wondering if I downgrade my NVR version to something like V3.3.2 Build 150522 or V3.3.4 150616, would the USB Keyboard (joystick) function? From my perspective it would be convenient to not have to power on my laptop in order to use the DS-1005KI USB Keyboard in order to manipulate the PTZ (noting I may have to use the TFTP approach in order to downgrade the NVR firmware version from V3.4.80).

I have emailed Hikvision however I'm (to be honest) not expecting a response as it's the first time I have raised a query hence I'm not familiar with how responsive/helpful Hikvision support is? (hopefully they're ok???) I have also not been able to locate any specific documentation online etc. (other than the user guide that was provided with the DS-1005KI USB Keyboard).

Therefore I would greatly appreciate any information/assistance in relation to this matter. Thanks very much in advance.

Best Regards...

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is the info I have about DS-1005KI, it is supposed to work with the following units:

NVR (-E/Netra series ; v.3.2.0 and up)
NVR (-I series)
TVI DVR (v.3.3.1 and up)

I have only used it with iVMS-4200, so I can not help at all, I have not even tried it connected direct to NVR.

boomer53a

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Just looping back in relation to the Hikvision DS-1005KI USB keyboard. I was able to successfully connect my DS-1005KI to my Hikvision DS-7616NI-E2/8P NVR (am using the DS-1005KI to drive a Hikvision PTZ model DS-2DE7186-AE). Ref the following summary...

• I’m currently using a mini-KVM to connect an LCD monitor and mouse over my in-home Ethernet cabling to my NVR located in different section of the home. Whilst I also use the iVMS-4200 client I find direct NVR console connectivity more responsive especially when 'driving' the PTZ.

• Upon connecting the DS-1005 - I'm going to reference the DS-1005KI as 'joystick' as it's a pain to type! ;-P…. to the mini-KVM I was not able to move the PTZ. Reconnected the mouse, which functioned, re-connected the joystick, not functioning. I re-read the doco associated with the joystick and whilst it’s ok, it’s not overly detailed, especially in relation to direct connectivity to an NVR or DVR (just my opinion…the more detail the better for me!)

• I checked the specs of my KVM however it doesn’t detail a USB version. The joystick is (according to the doco) USB2.0 hence it maybe a compatibility issue? The mini-KVM is separately powered at the remote end where the LCD, mouse and joystick are located and the joystick powers on successfully when connected to the mini-KVM. However no ‘joy’ so-to-speak, still can't move the PTZ.

• I then directly connected the joystick to the NVR to both the USB2 and USB3 ports (as a test). The joystick powered on successfully however I was still not able to move the PTZ. This is where a smidge more detail in the doco would have been nice however admittedly I also didn’t perform the requisite troubleshooting steps. I 'rush in' to say the least!

• I didn’t move the monitor/mouse to directly connect to the NVR (I know I should have…lazy) as it would of assisted me in troubleshooting the issue. Instead I was checking if the PTZ was moving via the Hikvision iVMS-4500 mobile client. Again, no movement.

• I then downgraded the NVR firmware from 3.4.80 to 3.3.4 in case Hikvision dropped support for the joystick. You get the picture in terms of my state of mind at this stage yeah? :p (downloaded from the Hikvision European software portal – noting I’m in Perth, Western Australia)… anyway… still no joy, no movement. This firmware downgrade also caused an issue with my PTZ and motion detection (Smart Event). The PTZ is configured to continuously record however upon loading firmware version 3.3.4 the NVR Playback option was displaying the normal solid blue bar for continuous recording however underneath this was a green ‘broken’ bar where motion (presumably???) was detected/recorded. I did not have motion detection configured on the PTZ via the NVR or directly when connecting to the IP address of the PTZ. I deleted the PTZ from the NVR and re-added it - no joy, I restored the PTZ to defaults after deleting the PTZ from the NVR and reconfigured the PTZ by directly connecting to the PTZ and via the NVR (e.g. no motion detection and setting the Recording Schedule to ‘Continuous’) – still no joy. I downgraded the PTZ firmware from 5.3.9 to 5.3.8 and then I upgraded back to firmware version 5.3.9 – broken green line still appearing when playing back footage along with the solid blue line. I then installed the US NVR firmware version 3.4.21 and this appeared to correct the issue with green bar no longer appearing during playback (just the solid blue bar). However (no offence to the US members) the interface is a little different to other regions and I have family members also with Hikvision NVR’s hence I prefer to have the same GUI for when I’m talking them through using their NVR or troubleshooting etc. (I do have a day job so-to-speak, seemingly news to my family!!! hahaha!!!). I then applied firmware version 3.4.80 and the bl00dy green bar is back again! I reset the NVR back to default settings and re-configure – still there! I downgrade the NVR to firmware version 3.4.62 – still there! I then delete the PTZ from the NVR, reset the PTZ to factory defaults which reboots the PTZ. After rebooting I then power-off the PTZ (what for, I don’t know! Maybe good luck?) I remove all Event/Motion settings directly from the PTZ and I change the IP address of the PTZ (just for the heck of it!!!). I re-add the PTZ to the NVR, ensure that continuous recording is configured (no motion detection settings on the NVR selected) and this resolves the issue!!! REALLY???!!!! AAAAHHHH!!!! I then re-applied NVR firmware version 3.4.80 and all is still well, no green bar appearing when playing back footage of the PTZ. As you can tell the green bar was a smidge of an issue for me!!!!

• Apologies for digressing, back to the joystick, after searching online for ‘better’ doco in terms of connecting to the PTZ (no luck however), I just (by chance) clicked on the PTZ window on the NVR and selected the PTZ Control option. Gave the joystick a wiggle and I had movement!!!! AAAAHHHH!!!! Talk about not being able to see the wood for the trees!!!! I didn’t realise that I had to select the PTZ Control option first???!!! With the Joystick in ‘Joystick Mode’ (2 Green LED’s on the joystick will illuminate simultaneously) I was able to press the left hand button on top of the actual joystick (providing the PTZ was configured via LIVE view to be in the upper left hand window on my NVR – I have 9 cameras hence the LIVE view is configured as 3 x 3 – I’d like to know why this is BTW, if anyone has an explanation??? If I have the PTZ in another location in terms of LIVE VIEW on the NVR and I press the left hand button on the joystick the message "Operation Failed. This function is not supported by the camera". Clearly I can't control a non-PTZ IP camera with a joystick. However why does the PTZ have to be in the top left hand window on the NVR Live View screen???!!!) ... anyway...in order to active PTZ Control mode (rather that use the mouse to select it and then use the joystick to move the PTZ). I could then press the right hand button on the PTZ to exit the PTZ Control mode and return to my 3 x 3 Live view mode.

• I then purchased separate USB2.0 over Ethernet extenders to connect my DS-1005KI to the NVR using the in-home Cat5e (the mini-KVM is used to connect the LCD screen and mouse to the NVR – it's handy to have the mouse connected to the NVR also).

So there you have it! The DS-1005KI USB Keyboard operates with the Hikvision DS-7616NI-E2/8P NVR. Hence I assume it will also function with the 7608 and 7604 models (and others presumably?). My apologies for the very long-winded explanation… long story short…

Step 1 – connect DS-1005KI to NVR (either USB2 or USB3 ports – whatever you like)

Step 2 – ensure DS-1005KI is in ‘joystick mode’ (ref DS-1005KI doco for this, essentially press and hold a button for 3 to 5 seconds, the DS-1005KI will restart – displays 8888 and DS-1005KI firmware version on joystick LCD screen)

Step 3 – Select the PTZ Control mode and you ‘should’ be able to control the PTZ using the DS-1005KI USB keyboard (or use the left or right buttons on the joystick to enter the PTZ Control mode and exit PTZ Control mode – however I don’t specifically know why I have to have the PTZ window configured as the upper left handside window on my NVR????)

Apols for any typo’s etc. Thanks for getting this far!!! :)

Cheers!!!!