Hikivision DS-2CD2032-I video is not smooth at 2MP firmware issue?

xnaron

n3wb
Reaction score
I have some hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras and I am trying to get them configured for smooth fluid video at 1920x1080 @ 30fps.

My setup:
Dell 3524P POE switch = connected to cameras DS-2CD2032-from chinese seller on ebay running 5.2.5 firmware
Dell 3524P Gig port connected to Dahua NVR 4216
Dell 3524P Gig port connected to an HP enterprise class switch (j4903a)

I have watched some videos on youtube recorded at 3MP

They are actually a little jerky as expected (15fps) but still fluid. I am recording at 1080p @ 30fps. The problem I am having is best described as the video not being fluid. I see micropauses (jumpy) in the video when for example a car drives by (15mph). I am expecting it to be smooth and fluid. Am I expecting too much?

For my testing I have bypassed the dell poe switch and powered the camera with a separate supply plugging it directly into the HP switch. I have also bypassed the HP switch and run the camera in my office connected to a gigabit 8 port switch. I have tried both udp and tcp. For testing I am using the NVR and I am also using the ONVIF Device Manager software on my PC to look at the live view. The problems seem to be with the cameras. All of them behave the same way and were from the same vendor. I have tried adjusting the i-frame to match the fps and played with vbr/cbr setting as well have changed the quality from medium to high.

Anyone have any ideas or things to try? Are my expectations out of line? Is this related to 5.2.5 firmware?

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you see the same issue if you log directly into the camera from a browser and watch the live view using the Hikvision ActiveX application?

xnaron

n3wb
Reaction score
Are exported video clips also jerky?
I just exported a clip and it appears to be smooth as butter when I play it back on my PC. I exported the file from the NVR (dahua) and renamed the dav file to avi to play it back. Here is the youtube upload. One thing to notice is you can see the iframes when they appear. They are currently set to every 1/2 second. They are more noticeable on the raw footage. The raw footage also appears a bit smoother than the youtube video. I have also tried the web app for the camera (active x) and the web app for the dvr and the video is equally jumpy....

So whats weird is the NVR output over HDMI and the live playback from the hikvision active x and dahua web nvr client are all jumpy and not smooth...but exported video is.

Last edited by a moderator: