Hik's new mini-dome, first look.

FrankMCN

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got a pair of DS-2CD2525FWD (IWS version).

Interesting setup - mic appears to be the small hole at the base of the left hand side of the camera base piece.

IR has been moved to 2 seperate frosted lens modules either side of the camera body away from the main CMOS ball, this should help against IR reflection from dirt on the main dome bubble and early tests don't seem to indicate any unwanted glare.

Image quality is in line for a IP3.0 2MP camera - good colour reproduction.

Its firmware 5.5.3 so I’d expect features like face detection don't work properly.

I would have liked to have seen some anti-tamper screws holding this thing together and the outer bezel to have been held down with more than just a pair of magnets. Although it has an IK08 rating, something as light as a tennis ball bounced off the body of this could cause the outer part to go walk-about...

IMAG0969.jpg IMAG0970.jpg IMAG0972.jpg IMAG0973.jpg

The ball section and retention coller are an intresting affair. The ball has been redesigned and the IR leds removed, unfortunatly the seam has a bit of a sharp edge which has a tendecy to dig into the glass reinforced plastic coller and make adjustment difficult. To top it off there is no useful adjustment tool like the previous generation so you're forced to grab the thing with potentially dirty mitts and use the lens cleaning cloth to tidy up after... not the best.

Overall it’s not a bad redesign of one of my favourite camera chassis, I’m hoping its more water tight than its predecessor but for now I’ll stick to fitting them under soffits and in porches.

Last edited:

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got a pair of DS-2CD2525FWD (IWS version).

To top it off there is no useful adjustment tool like the previous generation
How did that work? I set up an older model today but used my fingers. Didn’t know there was a tool to adjust.

FrankMCN

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How did that work? I set up an older model today but used my fingers. Didn’t know there was a tool to adjust.
You didn't get the below lens adjustment tool?

tool.jpg

(picure by the late Network Camera Critic. RIP.)

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last time I adjusted mine I just used the screw tool - insert it into one of the channels on the lens assembly and adjust